[36.] The Fall of Nancy

"Daniel?" Leonard asked, taking his arm away from me. "What are you doing here?" He looked angry. I quickly flicked my eyes to his parents, who looked equally upset, but also more worried.

The man, who I now knew as Daniel, looked at him guiltily. "I want to help," he replied.

"You want to help?" Leonard shot back, venom dripping from his voice. "All these years and now you want to help?"

"I understand that I am unwelcome here—"

"—Damn right you aren't—"

"—but if you will set aside your anger for two minutes, I think I may be able to help you," Daniel finished, dropping his eyes to the floor.

I didn't know what was happening. It was clear that Daniel was not a friend, and that he had hurt Leonard in the past. My brain told me to keep my mouth shut and not interfere, but my instincts told me otherwise.

"Leonard," I said gently, "I don't know who this man is. But we're exhausted, and he says he can help. Perhaps we can give him two minutes of our time."

Leonard glared at me, which felt like a knife going through my heart, but I stood my ground. "We just agreed that we're a team," I continued, keeping my voice reasonable and calm. "This half of our team has a gut feeling that we should at least hear him out."

A few tense moments passed before Leonard's expression softened and he sighed, "Alright." Turning back to Daniel, he said, "I don't like you being in my house. But I will give you five minutes."

Daniel thanked us both profusely, turning to a pile of documents that was sitting on the table behind him. I caught Eleanora's eye, and she gave me a look of relief. I smiled at her and gave her a small nod in return. David still looked fairly angry, but he stayed silent as he took an open chair next to Daniel. Leonard sat across from him, so I took the seat in between them. It was silent for another minute before I said, "May I ask who you are, Daniel?"

Daniel looked up at me and then shot a nervous glance at Leonard. Leonard, in turn, sighed and answered me, "He was the lawyer who took our divorce case."

"And we are angry at him, because...?"

"Because he's a two-timing, rat-faced—" David began. Leonard, though equally if not more angry than his father, cut him off.

"—he married Nancy right after we were divorced. They had been together throughout the case."

Daniel grew very quiet and stared down at the papers in front of him. Leonard was also staring at nothing, obviously upset to have to open an old wound. David then excused himself without a word.

"I'm not so sure I will be on your side either then, Daniel," I told him, "but, I am very worried for Leonard, so if you have anything that will help..."

Daniel looked at me gratefully and replied, "I believe I do, miss...?"

"Catherine."

"Catherine. A lovely name."

His tone and smile were cautiously friendly, but at Leonard's glare he quailed and returned to his papers.

"Nancy tells me she wants your property," he said to Leonard.

"She does. You helping her?"

Daniel was quiet for a moment before answering, "Not this time. I learned my lesson."