[38.] Epilogue

[38.] Epilogue

I sat playing with the ring on my finger, oblivious to the flurry of activity around me.

"You think you'll ever get used to it?" Jim said behind me.

I turned, smiling at him. "Get used to what?"

He pointed to my finger. "To that."

"Being married?"

"Yeah."

I chuckled. "I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but if there's anything I know for certain about my husband and I, it's that there will always be some new hectic adventure on the way to make it interesting."

Leonard and I had decided that we wouldn't make our wedding a big ordeal. His parents came back to Starfleet with us, where we held the ceremony with our small family. Astrid was, of course, my maid of honor. Jim had served Leonard as best man. Scotty walked me down the aisle. It was a short ceremony followed by a long celebration. The magical evening was filled with laughter and celebration alongside the people I loved the most. We didn't need a big ceremony; we had everything we needed right there. And just like that, I began Mrs. Catherine Elizabeth McCoy. It was a crazy decision, just like everything else we did. I wouldn't have changed a single moment of it.

Jim grinned back at me. "I'm happy for you two, Catherine."

"Thank you, Jim."

"It might be a problem though."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. My lead medical officer better not be too distracted. He's got work to do."

"May I remind you, captain," I shot back, laughing, "I will also be on duty."

He rolled his eyes. "I'm so sure. And speak of the devil!"

Leonard had just entered the Bridge.

"Why were we talking about me?" he asked, his eyes flitting between the two of us.

"Discussing married life," Jim told him. "Catherine had some very interesting things to share."

Leonard's eyebrows rose ever so slightly. "Oh?"

"Yeah, I was telling him about what a great kisser you are," I said, leaning to peck him on the lips.

Jim rolled his eyes. "Message received. Keep your PDA away from me."

I chuckled while Leonard simply frowned. Jim walked away from us with a skip in his step, and then opened the comm.

"Mr. Scott, how's our core?"

"Purring like a kitten, captain," Scotty's voice came from the speaker. "She's ready for a long journey."

"Excellent!"

Jim hopped back down from his place at the captain's chair and took Leonard by the shoulders.

"C'mon, Bones," he said teasingly, "it's gonna be fun!"

Leonard's frown deepened before he muttered, "Five years in space. God help me."

"Five years of exploring, my dear," I replied happily, looping my arms through his. "Five years of adventure. What better way to honeymoon?"

He was silent for a moment before answering, "I can think of a few better ways."

I laughed. "I can't think of anyone else I'd rather be with on this mission."

His frown softened then into a small smile. His eyes moved to meet mine. "Glad you could join me, Mrs. McCoy."

At that moment, Jim sat in his chair, his legs kicked out and his hands pressed against the armrests, a look of glee twinkling in his eyes.

"Mr. Sulu, take us out," he instructed.

"Ay, captain," Sulu responded.

I held onto my husband more tightly, the thrill of new horizons coursing through my veins. I felt my heart soaring as we took off into the great unknown, standing side by side with the greatest man I would ever know, our newest adventure only just beginning.

Author's Note:

My beautiful, wonderful, dedicated, incredible readers; thank you for coming on this journey with me. I cannot believe this has been three years in the making. I cannot thank you enough for your patience with me and my unfairly slow updates amidst my life transitions. I wish I could give you twenty more chapters following this story that holds such a special place in my heart, but it would take me another twenty years! ;)  But even though we have left Leonard and Catherine newly married and beginning their newest adventure, I can promise you that through all the crazy things they will face, their love will only grow stronger. They see amazing sights. They experience insane ordeals. Catherine gives birth to a feisty little brunette, whom they name Astrid. Though the story ends here, their adventures continue.

I love you all to pieces. I cannot thank you enough for reading. Live long and prosper, my dear friends.

Most sincerely yours,

Madison