Chapter 4

What has she done?

Did she really just ask someone to marry her when she didn't even want ties with any men? Neither short term never the less long term?

While Owen escorted Alice out of his office and down the corridor. Luckily, this time most of the workers were on their break time. They couldn't see her head wasn't held as high as before. Her mind was racing thought after thought about what just happened in Owen's office. She kept telling herself this was a safe thing, that this was only to pay some of the debt to Smith. And she believed that. What worried her was the façade she had to put up to the people. Part of her independence would be gone.

But then she remembered about Ethan's words about how much Owen gave for that company. Then she dismissed her worries because however harsh she became, she couldn't let the most important thing in his life diminish. Maybe because she didn't have one herself. Or maybe because he really was the only person left in her life.

They paused at the lift and Owen pressed the button for her.

"What are you going to do now?" He broke the silence with a subject that wouldn't cause any awkwardness between them.

"I'm going to get some lunch." Alice replied. "Do you want to join?" As she finished the sentence, Alice herself was shocked at what she just spoke. It seemed as if she had just sort of ask him out.

"Um, I can't. I have some work to finish. And my secretary already ordered lunch for me."

"Good, then." Alice was relieved. He spoke easily. Maybe he didn't take her question as asking him out.

"Owen", called out an unknown male voice.

Whew! Thank goodness to whoever called him. She'd leave right after the man arrives at Owen. Whoa, wait. Who the hell is that man? Man? A hunk of a man would be better! Heavens, he looked like out of a perfume commercial. Those sea-blue eyes that captivate you from miles away, that suit hugging his well-built bod, the messy blonde hairdo, the light stubble on his face. Everything about this man screamed of sex appeal.

"Owen, I finished those papers. There doesn't seem to be any mistake like you said. Oh, sorry. I didn't realize you weren't alone."

Owen nodded but he wasn't listening. He was watching Alice fixating at the man before them. How come every woman to step in here has to pause at his sight? And then, he looked at the man who seemed to have just spotted Alice and saw his eyes widen with interest in her.

The man extended his hand to Alice. "Hi. I'm Liam Davis. Head of accounts and the sexiest of them all."

Oh and that wickedly lopsided smile must have left a few broken hearts around. She shook his hand politely. Alice could see a few female faces from the cubicles fuming with envy.

"Them?", she inquired with composure.

"The men around here, I meant."

"Oh, that's an understatement", she said a little too abrupt then bit her lip. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Owen's jaw tightening. She had offended him.

The lift door opened and out came two employees who nodded at Owen and went to their cubicles. Relieved of having her escape, Alice slid inside.

"Nice meeting you," she told Liam with a polite smile and then turned to Owen with a falsely smile. "Goodbye, Owen."

As the door began to close, Liam stopped it with his hand.

"I didn't get your name."

"Alice."

"Alice.", Liam repeated. "Now that I got a name to the face, it's nice meeting you too." He winked at her and was about to move his hand but stopped and checked the watch of his wrist. "It's break time. I think I'll take the ride down with you. Are you coming Owen?"