Chapter 9

When she stepped into Liam's apartment, Alice was greeted with his stirring gorgeous smile, his half naked body except for his chequered boxers and the intoxicating smell of booze. Without a second thought, she snitched the beer glass from Liam's fingers and gulped it down till the last drop.

"Hello to you too." Liam said with his empty fingers still in the air. "You want a beer?"

"Make that double."

He retrieved two beer cans from the fridge. She opened the can and gulped swig after swig.

Liam watched her close her eyes and savour the liquid running down her throat. "Wow. You sure are thirsty."

Alice stole the lit cigarette in the ashtray and dragged on the smoke. Alice held the smoke between her lips as she poured the remaining beer in her can into the glass she stole from Liam.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Liam said with concern.

"Mhm."

"You don't look like it. What brought you here?"

Alice laughed. "My feet did."

He eyed her incredulously. "You walked here from your place at this hour?"

"There isn't 'my place'. I walked here from Owen's place, where I live."

It was then that he remembered that Alice was his cousin's wife and then that he noticed her clothing.

"What happened Alice? Did you fight with Owen?"

She took a final drag of smoke and discarded it in the ashtray. "I believe you owe me a different question." Alice said as she approached him in slow, flirty steps, hitched up her sweatshirt and pulled it over her head.

Liam hadn't forgotten what he had told her. That he plainly said he would sleep with her whether married or not.

She rose on her toes to reach his height and touched her lips just beside his. Then she pushed him back towards the sofa. Liam lifted her in his embrace, the beer in her hand spilled over her pants and Owen's torso, and he dropped on the sofa with her straddling him. And much to her chagrin, he pulled back. "Alice, I have to stop."

"If you're worried about Owen, don't be. He doesn't care. Or am I not putting you in the mood enough?" Alice exclaimed, tracing a finger around the lines of his sculpted chest.

"You are. You really are." He admitted. "But you are not in the mood. You only want the sex to distract you."

Alice looked away. He had hit the nail directly on the head. Liam's fingers turned her chin back at him. What she saw made her positively in the mood. Liam looked at her with his slightly bowed head, his raised eyebrows and a melting smile. He was like he was speaking to a sad kid who wasn't allowed any candy. "Do you want to talk?"

Alice shook her head.

"Come on. Talk to me and maybe I'll let you undress the rest of my clothes." A devilish grin replaced his tender smile.

She chuckled lightly. "I don't know if I can talk."

"You already are." Liam's thumb rubbed the circles under her eyes with a frown. "You were crying." He says matter-of-factly.

She nodded. "I was."

"Alice, did Owen do something to you?" Bad things began to come to Liam's head. He knew his cousin for a long time to know Owen's capabilities. Things that no one, not Alice, knew.

"We had an argument. Please don't ask me to explain."

"Don't you want to at least tell me what got you gloomy enough to release those tears? Because something tells me you don't let them out often."