Chapter 13

She looked like a baby. That was the first thought that came to Owen's mind when he saw Alice. She was pale, weak and in much need of caring for.

The long minutes he spent on the armchair beside her bed he had made up his mind completely of fighting for Alice. He couldn't resist clutching her cold, seemingly lifeless fingers in his warmer hand as he silently promised her he'll be her husband completely.

For the hours he spent there, he racked his brain in figuring out how to break the news of the pregnancy to her. He was sure Alice would end her habits once she'll know she's carrying a baby. He was even surer she wouldn't want her child to be away from his father which in other words meant she wouldn't separate from him. Alice needed something to remind her of her precious life. Maybe this pregnancy was it. Though, Owen hasn't forgotten the doctor's words. Her body is rejecting the pregnancy. What if she - they - lost the baby?

The thought of their baby still surprised Owen with every thought. Who knew something could come out of their hasty sex? He hadn't even considered a family with her. He was always focused on having her.

He remembered Alice had once told him she was on the pill but she gotten pregnant. Maybe this really was a sign. A positive sign. For her and for them.

After he left at the emphatic insistence of Amy and was sitting in the passenger seat as Ryan drove, Owen had accepted the fact that their baby might not live. But whatever was to happen Alice was his. He wouldn't let her go again.

At seven the next morning, Amy had called Owen to inform him that Alice had woken up but was to be occupied with more tests and scans therefore he wasn't to come visit early. She knew he would. Owen had reluctantly agreed. He had already called work informing he was not to come.

Owen had taken the boy at home with him as he promised. Ryan had settled on sleeping on the sofa after Owen had explained that the spare room was occupied by his wife. After Ryan had confessed of his background, Owen opted in telling the truth about him and Alice. Not the whole truth. Just that they married for complicated reason and now Alice is having regrets of their marriage. Smart as he was, Ryan had remarked that Owen's feelings for his wife were as clear as crystal evident. Owen had already become fond of Ryan. He had even seen the heavy expression on Ryan's face when Owen told him Alice drank too much alcohol. The boy might not really know Alice but he did knew people who could end up like Alice or worse.

To pass the time before he goes to Alice, Owen had taken Ryan to the shoddy abode of his parent's to collect his belongings. The two scrawny adults who greet them hadn't even questioned their son's whereabouts last night. Actually, the only word uttered was a somewhat relieved 'goodbye' by the mother. All the way to the apartment to deposit the stuff and then to drop Ryan off at work, Ryan said nothing. Owen assured him his life was going to change. Sceptical, Ryan had only nodded.

After Owen took care of buying the one gift he could think of for Alice, he had gone straight to the hospital. He couldn't wait the remaining forty minutes left till Amy said Alice would be able to see him. And he was glad he didn't. A former colleague of Alice recognized him, congratulated him on their marriage and informed him she was in her room.

From Alice's room came laughter and chatter of people. Through the small window in the door he saw Amy and two other doctors surrounded Alice's bed. A smile quickly took over the thin line on his lips when he saw the good mood Alice was in. Seeing her like that reminded him of the Alice he remembered. And when she saw him and widened her smile, he swore his insides melted.

"Owen, I knew you'd come this soon," Was Amy's greeting when he opened the door, "and before you alarm yourself of seeing three doctors in the room, I'll tell you we only came to keep Alice company before we start our shifts."