Southern Comfort

After I put Tractor in a small paddock behind the barn, I headed up to the house. I ran up the stairs to my pink camo and horsie room. I opened my closet and pulled out an old Vneck and some cheer shorts from middle school. I put them on and pulled up my socks and shoved my foot into my Buckaroos. I grabbed my phone and sent a quick text to Hunter that I was coming over. I put my cowboy hat on and pulled out my navaho horse blanket. My grand daddy gave it to me before he passed, he would always spread it across his horse's back so he wouldnt get his pants all dirty and wet when riding bareback. 

When I walked into the kitchen to grab a water, I found my mom. "Hey hun." 

"Hey mom. I am riding over to Hunter's. I dont know when I will be back." I said casually, she is used to me being over at his house or Cali's. 

"Ok. But sweetie, take a change of clothes just in case you stay for dinner. I wouldnt want you to eat covered in horse hair!" She fussed at me. I ran back up the stairs and grabbed a pair of clean jeans and a cute T-shirt. 

I kissed my mom on the cheek and ran to the barn. I slapped Jed on the butt as I went into the tack room. I grabbed my geldings bridle, a leather one ear, with turquoise cross' on it. I went to Calp's stall. He is a huge pure black Morgan horse. He is the sweetest horse we have, I used to do western pleasure on him when I was younger, but now I just trail ride with him. I walked into his stall, and rubbed on him for a few minutes. Then, I slipped on his bridle, and threw the blanket across his back. I laid my jeans and shirt down across his whithers so hopefully they wouldnt fall off, and then I led him out of his stall to the mounting block. I struggled to pull myself onto his broad 16.1 hand back. Once I got up we trotted over to the trails. 

"Hmmmm, should we take the easy, but long trail to Hunters, or the harder but quicker?" I asked Calp, as soon as I finished, he threw his head towards the latter choice and gave me a nicker. 

"Well alright!" 

We took off at a lope and splashed through the wide creek bed, and he leaped onto the other bank. his thick mane settled on his neck as he slowed to a walk. I took a picture of Calp's ears and the field we're approching and posted it to instagram. I put my phone phone up because Calp always gets ancy when we arive at the field. We always run through it and jump the big log at the edge of the field.  

He threw his head up and I held back, knowing it gets him riled up. The closer we got the more he pranced, when we reached the tree line he reared up, and took off at a full gallop. We rounded the twists cut into that field, hopping over gullys and bryers. All too soon I saw the big log, and felt Calp pirk up too. I urged him on and he lifted himself up as I held onto his mane and tried not to let anything fall off. He stuck the landing and galloped a few more strides and I let him slow on his own.

We broke through the woods onto Hunter's property at a nice slow lope. I saw him lassoin a practice steer. His lean, muscular body, Wranglers, Ariats, and hat make him so charming, not to mention his personality.

Stop. Levi, he is your best friend. Stop. Jed just put that in your head.

He finally heard me coming and looked up and smiled his goregous smile. Stop.

"Hey cowbabe" He said to me, he calls me that all the time.

"Hey hey!" I smiled down at him.

"Did you jump?" he asked as he was winding up his lasso.

"Hell yeah! You know Calp!" I chuckled as I got off. I pulled off my blanket and laid it across the coral panel, and tossed my clothes at Hunter. He caught them as I opened the gait, and I took off Calp's headstall and he ran to the water.