Chapter Twelve

Krystal's POV

It had been a few days since DJ went missing. We covered up for him by making excuses to Notch that he was sick, but we were about as clueless as him.

I've been feeling a bit uncomfortable around Hayden lately. Every time I was around him, I couldn't stop thinking about the things he did that Saturday morning. I don't know what to think right now. I still hang around him because I consider him a close friend at this point, but I know things between us will never be like before.

When I got home from dinner, I started to head towards my room. I was about to open the door when I heard Lexus shout, "WAIT!"

I turned around. He held up a DVD. "Movie?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Depends on what it is."

"You'll see," he said mysteriously.

I folded my arms.

"Come on!" he said, while fake whining. "Everyone else is watching it tonight."

"Fine," I said. "But what is it?"

He sighed. "It's Catching Fire."

Happiness pulsed through me. "Yes! I love that movie!"

"It's a good thing we're watching it tonight," Lexus said.

When everyone got settled on the couch, I noticed Hayden wasn't among them. Too lazy to get up and get him, I yelled, "Hayden! We're watching a movie!"

The door opened and Hayden stepped out of our room.

"Okay," he said. "No need to yell."

He walked over to the couch I was sitting on and sat next to me.

As Lexus started to put the DVD in the DVD player, we heard knocking at our door. Shannon answered it and it was Dale, Darren, DJ (the girl) and Jay.

"We heard that you guys were watching a movie, so we were wondering if we could watch too," Dale asked shyly.

"Sure!" Shannon said. "All though some of you may have to sit on the ground."

"That's cool with me," Jay said.

They walked down, grabbed couch pillows and sat on them. I leaned back, completely relaxed my body, and slid it down so much that almost half of it was off the couch.

It felt so comfy, and I let out a big "Ahhhhh..."

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught Hayden smirking.

"What?" I said.

Still smirking, he said, "Nothing," and looked away. After a while of me just sitting in that position, Hayden continued to examine me and then burst out laughing.

"What is it?" I said, feeling a smile come on.

"Your position looks so weird!"

"I find it very comfortable."

"You do realize there's a recliner built in the couch?"

"Oh," I said, feeling stupid. "How do I work it?"

"There's a button on the side of the couch, and you push it," Hayden explained.

"Oh. Thanks."

I pushed the recliner button and the recliner came out. I rested my feet on it. We sat in silence and watched Lexus set the movie up. Then Hayden finally said, "This movie any good?"

"I thought it was better than the first," I said.

"How so?"

"In my opinion, it was much better directed."

He nodded, and then the movie started.

Just like when we watched the first movie, I kept checking on Hayden's reactions. He carefully studied the movie as he watched it, and made comments from time to time.

I glanced over at everyone else. They were all intensely staring at the screen. I then saw Shannon cuddling close to Lexus. I caught Shannon's eye and mouthed 'Awwww' to her.

She shrugged and then nodded at Hayden. I mouthed, 'What about him?'

'I think he's got a thing for you.' she mouthed back.

I rolled my eyes and continued to watch the movie. It was the part before the fog. Katniss sees the mist, reaches out to touch it and then...

BAM! I jump and find myself gripping Hayden's arm tightly. When I realize what I did, I felt awkward and let go.

Feeling embarrassed and awkward, I watched the rest of the movie with nothing else said. When it ended, I asked Hayden what he thought of it, and he said I was right. It was better than the first. I gave him a small smile, and Shannon pulled me to her room.

She quickly let Luna in and shut the door.

"So why did you bring me here?" I asked Shannon.

"Just a little girl talk."

"Okay... talk to me then."

"Well," Shannon started. "We were just wondering..."

"... if you and Hayden had anything going on recently." Luna finished.

I shook my head. "We're just friends."

"Really?" Shannon asked. "Tell me the truth."

"Actually, I'm not really sure anymore," I admitted. "He's been acting... different around me lately. I'm not really sure what to think."

Shannon and Luna exchanged looks.

"What is it?" I said. "You know, if you want to believe that we're romantic, believe all you want, because I certainly don't feel that way towards him."

"Whoa, no need to be defensive," Shannon said. "We wouldn't be having this conversation if we didn't see you holding hands on Saturday."

I tried to keep the surprise as well as embarrassment off my face. "How did you know?"

"We got up to go to the computer lab, and went to wake you up but both of you weren't in your room," Luna explained. "Then, we checked the living room and there you were, sleeping on the couch, holding hands. We thought that you looked cute like that so we just left you two."

Now my face was burning up. So it was obvious that we were romantic when we just wanted to be friends in the first place.

"Wonderful," I mumbled. "Just wonderful."

"What is it?" Luna asked.

"Everyone thinks we're pretty much dating now," I said. "But I don't like him like that."

"But the real question is: Does he like you?" Shannon said.

"You're dating Lexus," I said. "You're better with that kind of stuff than me."

"We're not officially dating," Shannon pointed out.

"You went on a few dinner dates, you kissed, and you freakin' snuggled with him during the movie! I think that qualifies as dating."

She sighed in defeat. "Yeah, I guess you're right about that."

I smiled out of satisfaction. "Glad to be right. So, help me here."

"Okay," Shannon said. "I need some more hints. Anything else he did?"

"Well, I already told you he's acted a little awkward," I said. "But you promise you won't tell ANYONE about this?"

Shannon and Luna nodded, and I told them about the holding hands, but didn't mention why he held it, and the random hug. They both smiled.

"He's obviously flirting with you," Luna said.

"So he might like you," Shannon chimed in.

Just then, it all came together and made perfect sense. All of the awkwardness has happened because he must feel something more for me. How strong it was, I didn't know. But I knew things will never be the same. Never again.

"I-I think you're right," I stammered. "But I don't know what to think of it. What to do."

"Don't think," Shannon said and smiled. "Let it happen."

"But what if I don't feel the same?" I asked.

Luna gave a reassuring smile and said, "Let's give it a week and see what happens. But don't force the feelings if they aren't genuine."

"Thanks," I said. "I guess I did need someone to talk to about this. Thank you for pulling me here against my will."

They laughed.

"Don't mention it," Shannon said.

I got up. "I need to get to bed now. It's like midnight."

"Goodnight!" they both said.

I walked back to my room. I was relieved to see Hayden sound asleep. I wasn't ready to face him after everything I had just learned. I laid on my bed and tucked myself in. When I shut my eyes, I could only think one thought:

Hayden Brown has a crush on me. And I'm not sure if I liked him back yet.

___________________________

Ah... love in is the air tonight. Love is awesome, but can be so awkward as well. This chapter is my late Christmas present to you (even though I don't celebrate it) hope you had a great one! :) COMMENT!