01: Rumor Has It

"Bless your soul, you've got your head in the clouds,

You made a fool out of you,

And, boy, she's bringing you down,

She made your heart melt,

But you're cold to the core,

Now rumor has it she ain't got your love anymore,"

~*~

"Hey Emma, pass me the milk carton please?" my Aunt Emily asked, with her hand outstretched.

"Sure Tia" As I did so, I couldn't help but notice, yet again, how young and beautiful she looked. Despite being in her mid 40's, she looked nearly 10 years younger. The years have clearly treated her kindly.

She continued making me her world famous pancakes that I absolutely adore "So what's the latest and hottest?"

As far as I knew, my aunt was more gossip obsessed than anyone her age. Or any age for that matter. From the latest scandal to the most recent break-up or make-up, she knew it all.

"I think you have the wrong sister, Tia" I replied, giving her a look. "CATHY!!" I called out to my little sister.

"COMING!!" she called back and made her grand entrance into the kitchen. "I'M HERE!"

Despite it only being 10 in the morning, on a Saturday no less, Cathy, as usual, looked like she was ready to walk down a runway, with her red, high-waist mini skirt, white crop top and light blue, denim shrug, while I was still in my (very comfortable) pajamas. Even her hair was done into one of those overly complex braid crowns or something like that, whereas mine was still in a messy bun. Like, seriously, does this girl even sleep? Because it seems as though she stays up all night planning and working on her look for the next day. She eats, breathes and lives fashion and like my aunt, gossip.

"So what's new, Cats?" Aunt Em asked, her eyes wide and crazy with child-like excitement.

I worry about those two, I really do.

"Okay. So guess who newly became single again?? Nicholas! He is sooo dreamy."

Ah. This guy, I knew. Nicholas King. Business Tycoon. All the girls want to be with him and all the boys want to be him. I don't understand why, though. It should be common knowledge that he's bad news. I mean, he's filthy rich so he can buy his way out of anything, he's extremely powerful so he can make anyone dance to his tunes with the flick of a finger, he's most likely arrogant and treats women with absolutely no respect. I don't know what's to like about him, and yet I could almost see my sister's pupils turn into hearts as she spoke about him.

"Nicholas? Like Jennifer's son Nicholas? Yeah, he is quite a gem isn't he?"

Oh did I forget to mention Mr. King's mom, Jennifer, and Aunt Em are very, very, very close? Well, they are. But luckily, we've never had the displeasure of actually meeting him.

"Yes, he is. OHMIGOD I LOVE HIM." was Cat's starstruck reply, "Tia, you're practically best friends with his mom! Which means our families should practically be one!"

I nearly shuddered at the thought. "Gross."

"Oh, come on Emma don't be such a Negative Nancy! You always see the best in people so what's so different with him?" Aunt Em said.

I hate to agree but she was right. I've always hated him and I've never given him a chance. But in my mind, with the way he plays women the way he does, he doesn't deserve a chance. "The only good thing about him is that God gave that boy some extra love because gosh darn it, he was a sight to behold but in the end, it's not the looks that count. In the end, he's just a player. A Casanova. A womanizing ass, so yeah he's not that great."