02: Beautiful Stranger

"Some kind of beautiful stranger, you could be good for me

I've had the taste for danger

If I'm smart then I'll run away, But I'm not so I guess I'll stay

Heaven forbid

I'll take my chance on a beautiful stranger

I looked into your eyes

And my world came tumbling down, you're the devil in disguise

That's why I'm singing this song"

Saturday Evening

My eyes flitted towards the door at the sound of the door bells jingled signaling a customer. I placed my book down, making a mental note of the page number.

"Hello, and welcome to Sparks Reads !" I began reciting automatically as I rose, walking around the counter towards the man. "Can I help you find what you're look-"

I froze.

Being in love with reading all my life, 'Don't judge a book by its cover', was a phrase I lived by. And yet, looking at the man standing in front of me, I couldn't help the goosebumps that rose on my skin or the shivers that ran down as I took in his appearance. With an oversized hoody despite the humid weather, huge aviators and a baseball cap shading his face, despite sundown, this guy didn't scream normal. The way he was scanning the room as if looking for something didn't exactly help his case either.

After doing this for a couple of minutes, he let out a breath and nodded with a smile as if satisfied with what he found. Or didn't find for that matter...

Despite the chills he was giving me, I couldn't shake off the feeling that he seemed vaguely familiar. Not in a way that I actually knew him but like I'd seen him somewhere. Somewhere. But where? Not a clue but he was definitely giving me the creeps.

Or at least that's what I thought. Until he pulled off his 'disguise'. Holy moly, what a fine specimen of human he was. I want to jump him.

Calm down, Emma. He's just another customer; keep your hormones in check.

In my defense, he was pretty frozen a well, with wide eyes and a shocked expression that I'm pretty sure matched my own.

"Um-uh looking for. Can I help you find what you're looking for?" God, I was pathetic. Less than 10 seconds in front of this guy and I was already a stuttering mess.

"Alright?" Amusement twinkled in his eyes and played with the corners of his mouth, pulling them up into a full blown breathtaking smile.

I heard the sharp intake of air before realizing it came from me.

Who else would it be Emma? It's not like there's anyone else here.

Right.

Why the sudden lack of oxygen? His smile. If there's one thing that makes someone extremely attractive in my eyes, it would be dimples. Dimples were my greatest weak spot. Now, it's not like this guy needed any help in the looks department but his dimples. Oh God, his dimples. Someone kill me. Please.

I suddenly realized that I was just here gawking at a hot stranger while he was probably feeling very awkward just waiting for me to say something. Wait, didn't he ask me something?

"Oh, yes, yeah, mhm. I'm great." I asked, vigoursly nodding my head.

"Mmkay, if you say so." he frowned in concentration making him look ultra adorable.