Meeting the "Team"

I took a deep breath, calming myself one last time as I looked at my letter again. It seemed like I'd read it over a thousand times just since I entered the bus. My mind spun at how real this was becoming.

Just over a year ago I'd been completely unknown, applying for a huge gaming competition with over the top technology. Back then, the odds didn't seem in my favor. Nevertheless, now I was sitting on a colorful bus with the acceptance letter in my hands. It was a reality I could have never imagined for myself just over a year ago.

There were about 20 other people on the bus, and we were on our way to the site where the games would begin. I didn't know exactly how many other groups there were, but we were all going to be the first people to experience the newest virtual reality. It was such big news, the competition is going to be televised, which hasn't happened to this particular competition before. That's how great the technology is.

"I like your hair," said the guy next to me in a sad attempt of small talk. I was derailed from my train of thought and unconsciously touched my pixie cut. I loved it, but it turned out to be a new way for people to make fun of me. They claimed I was only trying to be a stereotypical gamer, they also talked about how pathetic my aspiration was. Little did they know, I actually did like the style. It hadn't gotten better for me when I came to school with dark red hair either, but honestly, who cared what they thought.

"Thanks," I replied politely. At first I thought he'd want a compliment in return, but he started talking again before I could formulate a kind response.

"This whole thing is going to be awesome," commented the guy enthusiastically.

Matching his initial enthusiasm, I replied "I know right? People have tried virtual reality before, but this is a whole new level. Just an injection, an empty room, and an earpiece to communicate."

"You left out the best part; Feeling the pain without being hurt in real life, having exhaustion, thirst, and hunger. It'll create a whole new gaming experience," he added and I laughed quietly. "What?" He asked in a joking manner, pretending to be offended.

"I bet a regular kid wouldn't be excited about pain, starvation, and dehydration," I explained looking up at him. The lights on the bus made it difficult to see any defining features on his face.

"Who said we're regular kids? Besides, we won't be starving in real life," he found a way to justify his excitement. I smiled, not feeling the need to add to that. "My name's Duncan," he informed me, he was looking straight forward but I could still see his smile against the blinding lights.

"Grace," I told him in reply. He took a relaxing breath and it was fairly silent during the rest of the ride. When we got to our destination we were all split into groups. They told us how the simulation worked and how to be prepared. After they explained the basics, we were sent into a room together and watched a video explaining our first game. It was only practice, to get a feel for the whole thing. This first game wouldn't be televised, but that was just the people in charge being nice. It was a simple last man standing type game, we all got two lives and could play however we wanted.

We were finally able to explore on our own; we were to study the weapons and get an idea of what we'd use. The first thing I noticed was a giant leaderboard, it had all our names with our corresponding pictures. The number of contestants surprised me. They hadn't told us yet how the competition would run, but I knew not all of us would be able to stay.

I was looking at a nice gun-like weapon when when the people in charge announced that our teams would be listed by the main desk and that we'd have to meet immediately. I sadly stepped away from the weapons area and walked to where I assumed the front desks were, I could tell by the increasingly growing crowd.