The Final Game

We were all escorted to the "A" flats so we wouldn't have to walk such a distance when the final challenge took place. We were put in A1 while D3 was assigned to A2. All of our things were brought to us through the night. They told us to pack up our things, leaving out only a suit to wear for the final game. We did as instructed and soon found ourselves in a deep sleep, exhausted from all the stress put on us that day.

We woke up a little later than usual and still had time before the letter arrived. It was late, leaving me wondering what had made them slip up. We found out when we entered the lobby, for what I assumed would be the last time in this competition. One side was blue, and the other orange. Our boxes had been expanded to fit half the entire lobby. The lights were bright, even when it hadn't been dark. The cameras split evenly between D3 and us, no longer having too many teams to keep track of. The room seemed so much more dramatic than it had ever been before.

For a moment I remembered what it was like sitting at home, watching this competition on livestreams. When the technology wasn't nearly as great, and the quality of video was terrible. When I longed to be one of the competitors.

We were given no introduction when the ritual started, which was expected, we knew the people in charge were done with words. Duncan squeezed my hand slightly before parting and going to our separate cubicles. I got the injection and chose a weapon and armor. I was sent into a waiting room, and I knew my teammates wouldn't be joining me.

"You all get one life. One member of your team must be alive at the end in order to win. Winner takes all," said a voice in the background. A new scene started forming around me. I was alone, which I should have expected. It was just like the game before Fear, and all I hoped for in that moment was that we wouldn't have to face the gremlins again.

Immediately, I heard Jasper's team talking. I at least knew what they were up to, and whispered for my own teammates. I hoped Jasper and his team wouldn't hear me. As soon as they found out we could hear them, they would quiet.

I took comfort in knowing what they were up to. An uncomfortable memory flashed in my mind, of being held down to my death by Jasper. I walked forwards in what I hoped was a good direction. I was spawned in a large grassy area, the grass was yellow and cracking at my touch. It came up to my chest, and I was prepared to crouch if anyone heard me whisper again.

This time there was a reply, I could barely hear it. If I weren't listening specifically for them, I wouldn't have heard Amberline. "I'm in large grass, can you see it?" I asked as quietly as I could.

"Yeah, I'll come to you." She replied. She seemed to be worried, but I shook it off as nerves for being so close to the end. Later, I heard rustling at the other end of the field, and Jasper became suddenly quiet. He probably heard us walking and decided to shut his mouth for once. At least he wasn't yelling at his team this time. He was actually being decent to his teammates.

"Watch out!" I heard Victoria yell. I came to a stop when I saw the group of people. It was D3 and... they had Dean and Amberline. Jasper held Dean at gunpoint, looking sad. Nikki had Amberline too, and she went as far as to mouth, "sorry."

I started shooting, and so did Victoria and Duncan from behind. When Jasper and Nikki had to let go to defend themselves Amberline and Dean pushed away and joined our circle. I gritted my teeth through the pain of being shot.

I dodged around, trying to be unpredictable as we all shot. This game wouldn't last long, and as more seconds flew by I started questioning our fate.

One by one I heard names being announced. "Dean has fallen." "Olive has fallen." "Nikki has fallen." "Parker has fallen." It was a battle I wouldn't forgive myself for losing. We've lost against Jasper and the rest of D3 too much this summer. At the same time, there were people like Olive and Nikki who I actually cared for. If we won, I wouldn't forgive myself for beating them. In the end, my selfishness had won out. I pushed through the last of D3 alongside Duncan and Victoria; pulling in the final victory for my team.

The game faded and we all quickly drank our milk and left our cubicles. The cameras had uncharacteristically waited outside our cubicles to see us, instead of waiting in the lobby. It was good for them because we hadn't gone to the lobby to give out jubilant cries of relief. We hugged each other and prepared to face D3. I had to wipe a joyous tear as I told Duncan, "We did it."

"We did," was his only reply. We all started to go out to the lobby and found D3 waiting there quietly. Dean instantly rushed to Nikki, he apologized over and over for killing her. She replied by telling him it was just a game, and that she was proud of him. After that, the rest of both our teams walked forward and we all shook hands.

They congratulated us and we thanked them. Jasper came to me, and I was surprised when he said, "I'm sorry for how I was, going back to your question, I think I would like you guys if we'd met outside of the competition. So let's start over, how about you and the rest of D2 game with the rest of us occasionally?" I tried to decide if he was acting or truly meant it. I decided that he'd meant it.

"Sounds good," I said and smiled at him. The door that left the complex opened and there was a giant group of people, former competitors and their family. The moment was unreal. We started to walk out into the cheering crowd, D3 followed behind us. We were rushed to a stand while D3 was sent to their families.

"Duncan, Parker, Amberline, Dean, Victoria, and Grace," said one of the people in charge. "You are the winners of the ninth annual gaming competition we have held. You've had to face your fears, solve puzzles, and endure extreme physical conditions. The best part was that you've had to do it all together. We are proud to give you all the award and give the stage to you." Some representatives walked up and gave us large golden trophies, it was completed with a joystick from the newest gaming console topping it. On the base, mine had my name written on it a well as "D2" and my teammates listed below it. It stated we were first place in the competition.

The rest of it was a blur to me. I remember meeting my team's families, and my mom had made a point of setting up days where we could meet. At the end we were driven home alone in the bright colorful bus that had bought us here. We all sat together in a bunch, remembering all the time we'd gone through. It had all started on this bus, for me, when Duncan said, "I like your hair."

A/N So, that's the actual end. I couldn't help but include the hair thing from the beginning. I'm sorry if it wasn't as action packed as it probably should have been, but that really wasn't my focus when writing this. Soon, in less than an hour, there will be a small bonus chapter uploaded.