Healing

Earth: Eleven Days after Descension, 2148

Natalie came to suddenly, sitting up and gasping. Cool hands were immediately pressing her back down into a pile of furs. “Take it easy, Fayagada. You had a bad ledon, a bad wound.”

    The redhead nodded, her brow wrinkling. She looked up into the face of Laina before closing her eyes as a cool, wet cloth was placed on her head. “How-” Her voice scraped at her throat, and she accepted the waterskin Laina offered. “How long have I been out?”

    The Grounder tilted her head in thought. “Two days. Your fever put you to sleep for one day, and then the medicine Kei gave you put you to sleep for another.” She pulled up strips of clean cloth, laying them across her lap. “I must change oyu rapon, make sure your wounds are clean.”

    Natalie blinked, confused. “You must change what?”

    “Your bandages, Fayagada. I apologize, Gonasleng does not come easily to me.” Laina smiled, still just sitting still. And now that she mentioned it, the Grounder girl was speaking slowly, an accent painting her tongue.

    “Oh. Right,” Natalie mumbled, staring up above her. She noticed then, that she was in a room of some sort. Soft brown walls encased them, a brazier nearby with a fire lit. When Laina didn't move still, Natalie looked at her with raised eyebrows. “Um, do I need to sit up or something?”

    Laina shook her head and smiled, seeming to snap out of a trance. “No, you should stay lying down. I will lift what needs changed.” She did as she said, replacing dirty bandages with new clean ones and putting the used ones in a bowl.

    “What's that word you keep calling me? Fa-” Natalie watched as Laina poured some water into the bowl, letting the cloth soak.

    “Fayagada.” Laina smiled, turning the wet cloth on the ginger's forehead so the cooler side pressed against her hot skin. “It means fire girl. You came down from the skai in a ball of faya, and when we cleaned your hair we found it to be the color of faya. So, osir don tag yu laik Fayagada.”

    Natalie used context clues and came to a conclusion. “So, because my pod was on fire when I landed and my hair is red, you named me Fayagada?”

    Laina smiled wide, looking very similar to her cousin Drane. “Sha! Yes, exactly.”

    Natalie nodded as much as lying down would allow her, and Laina turned the wet cloth again. “Why are you helping me?” her voice came out uncertain, and she worried at her lips.

    “Drein is kind, and doesn't like to see people in pain.” Laina took the cloth off Natalie's forehead and dunked it into a bowl of clean water. She rung it out and wiped at the sweat on the redhead's face. “You should sleep now, we will talk more later.”

    Natalie smiled a bit and closed her eyes again, falling asleep quickly.

~~

The Ark: Sometime in the Spring, 2147

    “Bell, are you home?” Natalie knocked continuously on the metal door of her friend's room.

    “Nat, what are you doing here?” The door opened to reveal a sleep-rumpled Bellamy, his hair in his eyes.

    “Is O up?” Natalie worried at her lip and avoided his gaze.

    “I am now. What's wrong, Natalie?” a sleepy Octavia called from behind her brother, and Bellamy pulled the ginger inside.

    Natalie glanced at Bellamy and pursed her lips, hugging her torso. “Alright, I can take a hint. I'll be somewhere not here.” he raised his hands up in surrender and left the room.