Tondisi

Earth: Three Months After Descension (sometime in December), 2148

    “Hold still, I want to make sure the cut is completely healed,” Kay scolded, her fingers gently prodding at the long cut along Natalie's face. The bandits had done a number on her, leaving a slightly curved line from her right temple, down to the right side of her chin. Another such line curved on her left arm near her shoulder. She also had a kill mark on her back near her right shoulder, symbolizing the life she took. Natalie wasn't even conscious when they had finally arrived in Tondisi, and the last few weeks had been spent regaining what strength she did have. She had taken that time to work on a few more toys and spend time with Noah (when she wasn't training) and Bran. The boy had attached himself to her side firmly, insisting that he owed her his life now, since she saved him from the fotowon, bad one. He was pretty intense for a seven year old, but Natalie tried to make sure he relaxed and acted like a child should.

    “I'm sure it is, it doesn't even hurt anymore,” Natalie grumbled, making an exaggerated pouty face. She grinned when Bran giggled from the cot across from her in the healing hut, his little face lighting up. Noah smirked and shook her head, waiting her turn. The girl had gotten a little overzealous in the training ring that morning, and had a cut on her arm, aching ribs, and a bruise on her right cheekbone. “Did you piss someone off again, Noa?”

    “No. He pissed me off. He's mean, and thinks being an orphan means I'm stupid.” Noah sniffed, scowling. “So I taught him a lesson.”

    “Jona doesn't know how to keep his thoughts to himself,” Laina muttered, swatting Kay’s hands away from Natalie's face. “Em ge fis op, Kei. Indra wishes to speak with her.”

    “Hmm, do you know what about?” Natalie hopped up, tilting her head. She picked up her coat and slipped into it, making sure it stayed closed. She glanced at Bran, wondering if he would stay in the hut while she spoke with the Chieftain of Tondisi or if he would follow.

    Laina shook her head. “No, but she grumbled something about ‘lid de skat in’ since he'll come anyway,” the hunter laughed.

    Natalie grinned and held her hand out to Bran, who hopped off the cot he sat on and took it. “Alright then, let's go.” She turned to Noah and pointed at her, her face going half serious. “Try not to get in anymore fights over insults. You know better.”

    “Sha, Natali. I'll try.” Noah grinned, then winced when her cheekbone twinged.

    The people of Tondisi were already bustling around, the sun high in the sky. Snow crunched underfoot as Laina led the Fayagada and her youngest charge to Indra, who waited for them in her private hut. Natalie wasn't usually summoned to speak with the leader, and she knew nothing of politics really, but she was sure that being summoned directly to the private chambers of the chieftain was rare. The residents of the village all watched and whispered behind raised hands, gossip floating around in Trigedasleng. She squeezed Bran's hand when he pressed himself closer to her.

    “Is he still nervous around men?” Laina glanced down at the boy, her brow furrowed in concern. Bran seemed to be deathly afraid of all men, and barely tolerant of women. He was only really comfortable around Natalie, Laina, Kay, and the other children. He flinched if anyone reached for him, and cowered of anyone yelled.

    “Yes. Drein got him to smile earlier, though.” Natalie smiled and ran her thumb over the little hand clasped in hers. Laina hummed and stopped at the door of Indra's hut, knocking. She opened the door when a voice prompted them to enter, and Natalie stepped inside. “You wanted to see me?”