Fixing

Earth, 15 Days after Descension, 2148

     Laina led Natalie to a clearing in the forest, over to a hole in the ground. There were poles sticking out along the edges with enough space to get through them. The girls carefully climbed down, and Natalie grinned as she looked around. It was an old, small bunker, with a table in one corner, and an old musty sofa along one wall. A small bed sat in another corner, and a plastic chest next to it. Laina pulled out a few candles from her pockets and set them on the table, lighting them.

     "See? Its a house in a hole." Laina grinned, looking around.

     "This is awesome." The redhead swiped at the dust on the plastic chest before prying it open. She found a few old toys, a moldy teddy bear, and some spiders she cringed at. She pulled the bear out, surprised that it didn't fall apart. "This stuff is so old."

     Laina sat on the ground and smiled, pulling out the package her mother had given her earlier. She opened it and plucked out a roll, holding it out to Natalie. "Sweet bread. My nomon's specialty."

     Natalie took the proffered roll, biting into it with a smile. "Oh my god, it's delicious!"

     Laina chuckled and pulled out her own roll while Natalie finished hers and pulled out a few more toys, sifting through them. "These rolls are my favourites."

     "You know, some kids might like these to play with. Keep the little ones entertained." Natalie smiled and sat down, fiddling with a plastic robot and making the lights flash dimly. "Keep them from exploring too much. Too much exploring can bring trouble."

The Ark: winter, 2133

     There was nowhere to hide near her own home, her daddy would find her eventually. The only choice she had was to find somewhere he wouldn't think to look. Natalie scampered down the corridor as fast as her tiny feet could go, and she rounded a corner too quickly, slipping on the floor and colliding with a person.

     "Owie..." She sat up, leaning on one hand, rubbing her head where she'd hit it on the other kid.

     "Sorry, kid, I didn't see you there." It was a boy, a little older than her, with dark hair and brown eyes. He stood up and offered his hand with a sheepish grin.

     Natalie grinned, straightening up before standing up with his help. "I'm alright, I've hit the floor harder than that before. I'm Natalie Campbell!" She pumped his hand once before letting it drop, sticking her hands in her pockets and rocking back on her heels.

     "Bellamy Blake. You're really small, how old are you?" He tilted his head and raised a brow.

     "I'm five. Why, is it weird to be this small?" Natalie frowned, looking down at herself. "How old are you?"

     "No, it's just strange to see a little kid wandering around without a parent." Bellamy shrugged. "I'm seven. Whatcha doin' around here anyway? Where are your parents?"

     Natalie shrugged one shoulder and started walking down the corridor again. "My mom is working and my dad was starting to yell again, so I left."

     Bellamy nodded for a minute before grinning, looking around. He reached his hand out and nodded to the side, down a smaller corridor. "Wanna see something cool?"