3. (Edited)

Polished/Edited by Jack Kardiac.

3.

"A swamp? Do all wolves live in these disgusting places?"

I wrinkled my nose as I cautiously walked a few steps behind Tate. He stopped dead in his tracks, shook his head and turned to face me.

"No, actually. But we're in hiding. You see, unlike you, the curse has been activated for us long ago and we've no control over whether we turn on a full moon or not. And to be clear, you won't either in a bit. So how about you start to get cozy and stop being so judgmental?"

He turned and continued walking. "
"Now follow me. Please."
What the heck? Did a bug crawl up his ass?! I only asked a simple question. Of course, I did use the word 'disgusting.' Still...

We didn't walk much further until we came to a small lake surrounded by tents and caravans. Little kids were chasing each other around while some adults sat in garden chairs, talking to each other quietly.  A few older ladies were making lemonade and a bunch of guys stood around the barbeque, laughing, cans of beer in their hands.

This isn't that bad, I thought. In fact, it's actually kind of nice.
Everyone immediately sensed Tate's presence. They all seemed to pause in unison, bowing their heads to him and then contining with whatever they were busy doing before our arrival.

"Come on," he said. "Follow me."
He took my hand and we walked up to one of the caravans where an elderly woman and her husband sat talking to each other.

"Elena, this is Tasha. Tasha Filtiarn. Could we... go somewhere to talk in private?" Elena's eyes widened as she saw the look on Tate's face. It was as if she knew what he wanted to say. I wish I knew, but I guess I was about to find out.

She opened the caravan door and motioned for us to enter. Tate told me to go first, so I obeyed and he followed me and shut the door.
"Tate," she asked. "Are you sure?"
He nodded. "Look," he said. He took both my hands as we stood across from each other. I was confused, as he was just looking into my eyes. I frowned at him and then it happened again! The yellow flash in our eyes!

"Oh dear, this is wonderful!" Elena exclaimed with a huge smile. Tate let go of my hands and I backed up, startled.

"Would someone please inform me on what the heck is going on?" I felt like I was going out of my mind, and I needed answers. Fast.

Elena sighed and began talking, "Tasha, I gather you know about werewolves having a specific mate? The person that they are bound to spend the rest of their lives with?"
I nodded my head. I had read that while I was doing my research.

"Well, I hope you know where I'm going with this. Because Tasha Filtiarn, Tate Dietrich is your mate." I looked up to see Tate fiddling with his fingers and staring at the ground. "And you are his." 

I smiled. I guess I don't mind that he's my mate. I mean, look at him. This doesn't mean that I'm accepting it this straight away, though. First he has to get rid of his coldness towards me.

"Oh, I understand, but what happens now? What do I do, exactly?" I sighed and looked over at Tate. He offered a small smile. I frowned at him, not wanting to encourage him too much. Not yet.

"I suggest you move here, to live with the pack. Since you are the last of the Filtiarn bloodline, you are automatically an Alpha too. You and Tate will lead this pack side by side; you'll become the most feared pack in the region. Then we won't have to hide anymore." I thought about what she said, packing up and moving. It sounded like a big step. My thoughts were interrupted when Tate started to speak.

"We are already the strongest and most feared pack, but Vampires are controlling this city. The city where the wolves once ruled, until they made the witches their Ali and we had no more power here. We had to flee."

"Hold up, witches are real, too? And I thought werewolves were more powerful than Vampires? And isn't a werewolf bite lethal to vampires?" I replied, trying to figure out exactly what happened. Vampires were definitely not on my nice list this year.

"That is true, but we can't control when we turn. We turn on a full moon and that's it. The vampires know not to come out on a full moon. They're smarter than that.

A werewolf hasn't killed a vampire in ages. Well, until today, that is." Tate looked over to me and then away again.

"What do you mean 'until today'?" Elena asked. "If one of our own killed a vampire, war would be declared." She caught our glances and knew he was talking about me.

I blushed. "I didn't know they were vampires! Heck, I didn't even know I was a werewolf! They can't declare a war based on a girl defending herself."

Tate walked over to my side and took hold of my hand and intertwined our fingers.

"She's right, Elena. However, if a war is declared, we will fight together. We will fight as a pack." Tate smiled down at me.