Chapter 7

Ava's POV

Beep beep beep

God that noise was worse than an alarm clock.

I felt so empty inside.

It was an feeling I was very familiar with.

Loss.

A woman came in who I assumed was a nurse.

"Drink this sweetie, it will help with the headache." She said handing me a cup.

I drank it and slammed it into the bedside table.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked.

"About a week." She replied.

"A WEEK!" I shouted.

She sat on the bed and took my hands in hers.

Then she gave me the news that I never wanted to hear.

She told me that only Adam, Freddie, Isaac and I survived the accident.

Darcy died at the impact of the lorry hitting us and flew out the windscreen when the car flipped.

Eric died when the car landed upside down in the ditch because his neck snapped.

George and Henry died from blood loss.

Adam, Freddie, Isaac were in a comas in an intensive unit down the corridor.

"Your brothers, Ben, Caden and Derek have been popping in and out." She said.

"You have a broken arm and that's it. You were sat in the middle, so you didn't really get many injuries."

"I'll leave you alone for a bit." Then she left.

***

I had been laid in my bed for a week, not talking to anyone or leaving my bed.

The nurses were worried. 

Ben, Caden and Derek had popped in and out but I ignored them. They didn't push it though, they were hurting just as much. We normally just sat in silence, waiting for any news on Adam, Isaac or Freddie. 

"Ava." I looked at the door.

Ben had sat down in my room.

"Please talk to me." Ben said.

"Hi." I said.

"Ava. They said Isaac might not make it." Ben said close to tears.

My eyes filled with tears.

"Can I see him?" I whispered.

Ben nodded and picked me up. I wrapped my arms around his neck and felt myself get very teary.

He carried me down the corridor.

"Mr Jonas..." A nurse began.

"I'm taking my sister to my brother, Maybe for the last time." He carried on walking.

We went into the baby part of the hospital.

Isaac was in a cot.

He had tubes everywhere and by the looks of things both of his legs were broken.

He also had an annoying heart monitor.

I began to cry. He is just a baby.

I stroked his forehead.

"His heart monitor it the only thing I had to know he was alive." Ben whispered.

"You've been sat in here for 2 weeks." I whispered.

"Here and in Freddie's room. Caden and me swap every hour." Ben said.

"What about Derek?" I whispered stroking Isaac's forehead.

"He's been mourning a different way. Getting drunk, partying. He only visited them once and couldn't manage it." Ben said.

"Can I see, Freddie??" I whispered.

Ben nodded.

"Be right back, Isaac, love you!" I kissed his forehead and Ben told me where Freddie's room was.

Walking around this hospital in barefoot and one of Darcy's old nighty's was not enjoyable. 

The smell was horrible. It was freezing in the corridors. Every corridor was the same. The floor was to smooth, it didn't feel right.

I reached Freddie's room.

Caden was asleep on the bench, and his wife Victoria and 4 year old daughter Melanie were sat colouring on the floor next to Freddie's bed.

Caden and Vicky had Melanie when they were both sixteen and got married when they were twenty. I had to be a brides made and wear a horrible white dress that I had ruined before the ceremony. I would never settle down that early with a family. 

Freddie didn't look as bad as Isaac. He looked as if he had a broken leg which I knew he would be very annoyed about because he wouldn't be able to dance. He looked peaceful in his sleep. He had a heart monitor too, he would hate that. 

"How you holding up?" Vic whispered.

"Auntie Ava!" Melanie jumped up and ran over to hug me.

I hugged her tight and tried to keep in tears.

"Good I guess." I lied and Vicky knew it.

She came over and hugged me.

"Your Dad will be back home soon." Vicky said hugging me tight.

I smiled for the first time waking up.

"Yeah."

But then I frowned.

"Yeah. Back to three dead sons, three sons in coma and a dead daughter."

I left the room before I lost it.