Chapter 12

Ava's POV

We drove into the place where all of the rich people lived. I wasn't quite sure how Demi could afford a house in this area but I didn't question it. Maybe she got a large inheritance. 

I peered out the window. It was a nice neighbourhood. It was almost too nice. There was no mess, it was all perfectly trimmed grass, neatly cut bushes. It didn't seem right. 

"Nearly there." Demi said.

We drove to the end of the road. 

At the end of the road, we pulled up into a really nice house. It was pink with flowers in the garden and a baby swing attached to a large blossom tree. 

"Home sweet home." Demi said undoing her seatbelt.

I didn't say a word.

I got my suitcase out the boot and followed Demi up to the front door.

Mr Valderrama, yes my teacher, opened the door and smiled at us, "Hey Ava." 

He was holding a three year old boy in his arms. I frowned and glanced over at Demi who looked nervous. 

"Meet my husband, Wilmer and your half brother, Josh." Demi said smiling.

"I see you didn't dump this kid too." I said, staring at Josh. 

It hurt seeing Josh. It made me miss Isaac so much, they seemed they were the same age. My eyes filled with tears from jealousy also, this baby got to live a happy life and I didn't. I got tossed around homes. I had the worst luck. 

I stormed past them and up the stairs. I didn't want them to see me cry. 

I had no idea where I was staying.

I looked in the first room, it was a complete mess. Clothes were all over the floor and bed. The dresser was covered in makeup and hair dryer, curlers and straighteners. 

I slammed the door.

That was obviously there room. I opened the next door. 

There was a crib at the back with a dresser and toys everywhere.

I slammed that door even harder.  

The end room was my room. It was painted pink. There was a bed against one wall and a wardrobe in the other space. It was all pink.

It reminded me terribly of home.

Demi came in after me.

"So do you like it??" She asked.

"Why is it all pink?"

"You can go with Wilmer later and pick out the colours you want." She said desperately. 

"Whatever." I lay on the bed fully dressed and fell asleep.

***

"Ava." 

"What."

Demi came in and sat at the end of my bed, giving me a sympathetic smile. 

"What?" I asked when she didn't say anything. 

"I'm sorry about your siblings." She said, sadly. 

I rolled my eyes and lay back down on the bed. 

"I'm also sorry your Dad left you again, you don't deserve that." 

My eyes slowly filled with tears. I was fed up of crying. Fed up of it. I had cried more in this past month than ever in my life. 

"Yeah well, my parents can't seem to stay." I mumbled. 

She placed her hand on my leg. "I was sick when I gave you up. Very very sick."

"Sick?"

"I was going through a deep depression when I had you. I wasn't in the right headspace. I was convinced if I gave you up, you would have a much better life. And you did, you have an amazing life with an amazing family. You would have had a shit life with me. I was also on drugs at the time, so you would have not been taken care of."

"Drugs?"

"Yeah sweetie, I had some awful friends who got me hooked on them. I cleared my life up though. I got off the drugs, I take medication for my depression, I met Wilmer and I got my life back together. I wanted Josh to have a good childhood, one I wish I could have given you." 

"I'm really sorry Ava." She wiped her eyes and gave me a small smile. "But I will now spend the rest of my life trying to make it up to you."

She leaned over and kissed my forehead. She then left the room, sobbing her eyes out.