Chapter 10

Ava's POV

I had decided to go back to school again. I needed the distraction. There was a constant sadness around the house as Adam was constantly breaking down into tears on the sofa and Isaac was constantly miserable and crying for hours. Dad was struggling I could tell, he slept a lot of the time. Victoria stepped in big time, she would help with Isaac, changing and bathing him and she would cook us all a meal at the end of the day. It was also nice to have Melanie around, she was a constant supply of happiness and hugs. 

The bell rang and Ben came to collect me at the end of the day.

"How's Freddie??" I asked as I got in the car.

"Same as yesterday." Ben replied. "Dance or home?"

"Home. I don't know if I'm ready to dance again yet." I replied.

***

When we got home, Dad was sat on the sofa with Adam, Caden and Victoria looking very grave. None of them met my eyes when I walked in and I think they had all been crying. 

There was a lawyer in a business suit sat on the chair opposite.

"What's going on??" Ben asked.

"Ben, Ava please can you sit down." Ben sat down. I frowned and didn't.

"Ava, sit down." Caden said.

I sat down "What's going on?"

"Since Adam is mentally unstable to look after you anymore -" The lawyer started.

"Adam is stable," I interrupted.

"AVA LISTEN!" Dad shouted making us all jump. Dad rarely shouted so I decided to listen. He then placed his face in his hands looking very stressed out. 

"Since Adam is mentally unstable to look after you anymore and your father will be going back to Syria in a week, Freddie and Isaac will be temporarily placed into foster care." He said.

"What about Caden?" I asked. "Can't he look after them?"

Caden shook his head angrily, "Apparently I am not fit to look after you. I would take you all in with a heartbeat." 

"What about Ben?"

"Ben is currently unemployed so that is not an option either. 

"Derek?"

"He hasn't been home since the accident, I doubt he is mentally stable enough to take in three children."

Dad looked really uncomfortable. 

"Ava, you are going to go and stay with your Mum for a while."