An Alpha female

An ALPHA.

The dry room, Grenada quarters.

"Strength and power. Two words I've learnt to cherish. They are the reason I'm not like the rest of them. Strength is something you grow-you build, and over the years, I've grown in strength. I'm not the frail one, the little one, the shy one, not anymore. Although physically I've not really grown in size, I'm still the same as I was then. I'm still the smallest in my family, although I'm the eldest. Two young and troublesome boys, that's a lot to look after.

"When you're small, it's easy to get trampled. When you're small, you're hardly seen, easily ignored, easily scorned. I knew all that, that's why I had to grow. That's why I had to gain strength, acquire power. Now they all know who's the boss. Who's the alpha in the pack.
It wasn't easy, though. It came with sacrifices. A lot of sacrifices. A lot of painful sacrifices, but it was worth it, and when I had made them, I knew in my heart that I had arrived. I was known. I was respected, revered.

"There was a loneliness, though, but it didn't matter. By the way, who could possibly tickle my taste buds? They were all overrated. They were just short adventures. If I felt the need to explore there was always a long line of these tools of partial satisfaction that only lasted for a day or two. In truth, for all I care, they were as bubble gum to me. Once the taste left, they were taken out, thrown away or put on the bottom of a table.

"You, on the other hand, were an exception. I had never experienced such a craving. I wanted you. I needed you, but you didn't need me. The moment I met you, I met my counterpart. We were... We are meant for each other. I did everything to have you and when I finally got you, just as I was going to make you mine and I yours, just a month to D-day, you decided to take us off course. You found a new love. You loved this person so much, even more than me.
You gave me conditions for our love. At first I tried to adjust, but as you learnt more about HIM, you sidelined me. Eventually you just left me, saying it couldn't work.

"'How could you? How could you?' I asked myself over and over again in solitude. I found an answer. In dead silence I knew it. I struck gold. It was revealed, but it wasn't a trait particular to you. It was found in all of you, even my family had such problems. It was the disorder you and the rest of your kind suffered. It was inevitable, so I decided that I would never go after anyone of you again. I made a vow not to be with any man, that is until I claimed what was mine.
It seems my vow will soon come to an end. It seems your love has abandoned you. Where is Jesus now? Is he going to stop me from claiming you? Is he going to steal you from me again? Not this time. I will have my child and you will be his father. If you ever want to leave this prison, Bosa, you will become my husband and I your wife." After my speech I left him to think about my words in the dry room.

"Adorlia!" he cried out, but I ignored him.