The Delivery Man

Bosa.

The dry room, Grenada quarters

"I've done everything you've asked of me, so why is this happening to me? Oh gracious King, answer me. Why me? Why me? Oh Lord, why me?" I scream at the walls. I scream at the ceiling. I scream at the single light bulb glowing a bright amber and lighting the room.

The sweat beads rolling down my face, my back, my arm, my thighs and my legs are tired of carrying my weight. All that keeps me from crumbling to the ground is the heavy chain bound to my arms and hoisting me up from the ceiling. The air is stale. It's dry. It's harsh. It's filled with dust. It's the same air I've been breathing since this morning. My head is swimming. I'm dehydrated. I need water. I need fresh oxygen.

It's been a while since Adorlia left. After two years, she hasn't gotten over me. I never wanted to break her heart. She wanted us to get married in a prison. It seems unlikely, but Adorlia was never one to conform to rules. By the way, she does have the prison's control in her pockets. It kinda makes me wonder what I was thinking getting involved with her.

Seven years ago I was given a life sentence for shooting two police men during a gun battle, as I tried to run away with a car filled with drugs and guns. I was a delivery man for a drug baron I got intertwined with two years back in order to provide for myself and my sick mother. I told myself that I would work for him for a short period of time, six months at most, but six months went by and I found myself wanting to earn more. To me, it was sweet and easy money. A year later, I got engaged to my girlfriend who was already carrying my three month old daughter. I needed more money to care for them properly, so I took on harder deliveries with much larger payoffs, but more risks.

It was smooth, but six months later I found myself being chased by the police. They caught upin no time and then it became a code red for me. Escape at any cost, even if it meant killing, because I had to get home to my wife. She was nine months heavy and she could go into labor very soon. Someone had to be with her. I had to be with her.

I was arrested that day and three days later I was sentenced to life imprisonment. My wife had no idea where I was during this time, and three months later she finally found me at the iron dome when she came to show me our beautiful daughter. She had named her Hope. They visited a couple more times during the year after my imprisonment, but after that, I never heard from my wife Katherine or my now six and soon to be seven daughter. I messed up really bad, but after three years of not hearing a single word from them, I forgot all about them and soon put my mind to other things. A year later I met Adorlia, and that, my friends, is what has put me in this current predicament. You see Adorlia.........

 You see Adorlia