Chapter Three

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul; firm and secure. Hebrews 6:19

____________________________________________

The next morning I woke up to the sweet smell of Dad's famous pancakes. After shaking Sav awake, and throwing on a robe, we headed downstairs to scoff down an unhealthy amount of cinnamon and maple-syrup drenched pancakes. 

As usual, the sun was already at a scorching heat by ten o'clock in the morning, and Sav and I changed into shorts and t-shirts, and then headed outside to sort out horses. We planned to take a few of the younger horses to a local show tomorrow, and today I had eight horses to exercise.

I still couldn't figure out what Savannah had freaked about last night, but I decided not to push it, considering it seemed to be grump-day for everyone, and I wasn't in a mood for more arguments. Fortunately for me however, she seemed to be a lot more cheerful today, obviously over yesterdays mishap.

"Righto. You're taking Ace and Hope, yeah?" Sav asked, before continuing as I nodded in approval, "and I'm taking Mocha and Taz. That means we'll need to take my 5-horse truck yeah?" 

Again I nodded in approval, kicking a pebble into a pond with a satisfying plop. Sav pulled open the creaky doors, and light filled the corridor, revealing three very sleepy-looking ponies. 

"Morning sleepy-heads," I cooed, clicking a lead rope onto Breeze and clipping her onto cross-ties. Sav cross-tied Malibu, following my lead as we quickly slipped off the rugs and chucked them over the stall doors. We headed out to the road-side paddocks, letting them go in the small paddock filled with fresh green roots of grass that would make them crazy.

"How bout a road-ride? We haven't explored Laurner's farm in ages!" I suggested as I clipped Breeze's lead onto the gate. Sav nodded, following my lead before we headed out towards the larger paddocks. 

"Sounds good! Should I stick round here? Chaser needed exercise since your Dad has been helping out with the town building stuff right?" She asked.

I nodded, "yeah, I'll take Ace. I gave him a big workout yesterday anyway, and we've got a show tomorrow so it'll be fun." 

"Perfect." Sav agreed.

It took less than fifteen minutes to groom and gear up Chaser and Ace, and we were headed down the driveway before 10:30 hit. The hot air was fortunately accompanied by a light breeze and the wheat fields swayed. 

We passed Troy's large white gate, and rounded the corner towards the overgrown entrance next-door to his place, that I'd barely ever noticed before. Today though, I noticed the rusty gate, hanging off one hinge far enough that it hung sadly at such an angle that I almost expected it to fall at this moment. Except today the lonely entrance was occupied by a large real estate sign, covered in Property Sold  tape.

I frowned in confusion, before looking at Sav to see her expression matching mine.

"That's weird." She said, halting Barcardi beside the bright red sign, "this property hasn't had anyone living or even visiting it in years."

I nodded in agreement, "feel like exploring?" I winked, a cheeky grin on my face. Sav smirked, before agreeing and turning towards the gate.