Chapter 6

Original Stats:
747 Views. 36 Votes. 4 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 6

━━━━━━━━━

I laughed, a laugh that was coming out in a more breathy way than I had wanted for some reason, but I could barely breath because of it. Chase nodded as his own laughter rang in my ears like the best song I had ever heard, his hand making its' way to my face as he gently brushed the tears streaming down my face away. I had long forgotten what we'd been laughing about, but it was still funny.

"Do you..." I cut off as we stopped along the edge of the sidewalk to catch our breath. "Do you, remember," I paused once more as I rested back against a tree at the side, "What were we laughing about?" Chase shrugged, a final chuckle leaving his mouth as he leaned back next to me. We stayed in the silence as a car passed by, the sound of our breathing the only thing breaking that silence.

"I feel like it had something to do with you dropping that ice cream cone." Chase wondered aloud as he closed his eyes. He had always said if you shut your eyes you had a better time remembering things. "I'm ninety nine percent sure it was that." I laughed quickly and turned to face him, my hands resting between my body and the bark as I let my face lean against the tree.

"What's the other one percent for?" I teased as I kicked his shin lightly. He shrugged, turning so only his left shoulder was up against the tree.

"A safety margin in case I'm wrong." He whispered, a smug grin on his face as he watched me. I felt as though his gaze should have been on the people passing us, even if for a second, but he kept his sights set on me. I felt my heart begin to beat hard against my chest once more, everything seeming in slow motion when I was here with Chase.

It actually had been. Every second that I'd spend with Chase over the last two days, had been in slow motion. I could recount every word we had said to each other. I could say what face he made according to each conversation, and I could relive over and over again the feeling that it gave me to be with him.

I sucked in a bit more air as I broke the eye contact we had been keeping. I didn't want him looking completely through me in the moment. He had a nasty habit of doing that.

The sky was darkening, the area near the sun showing to be a light orange. "The sun's setting." I muttered, yawning quickly afterwards. I had been with Chase all day, and had seen at least four fifths of the town over that time. We had been everywhere, and to be honest, the last two days had been the most tiring of my life. Chase's eyes widened as he let my words sink into that big brain of his.

"Come with me." He urged before he clasped onto my wrist and tugged me up the steep hill behind the tree.

I stumbled along as he pulled and tugged me up the hill, the rocks and extra dirt falling from under my feet to the sidewalk below. "What are we-"

"I'll explain in a sec, good girl." Chase called back before he swiftly reached the top. He took in a breath as he hoisted me up onto the flat dirt surface. I rubbed my wrists as Chase spun around, walking off in another direction and leaving me behind him.

"Wait up." I huffed in annoyance as I began to trot off after him. He pushed a few branches aside for me before we reached a small clearing, a wooden bench sitting at the center near a falling to the ground barbed wire fence. There was a single tree on either side of the bench, fallen leaves sitting underneath of it, and small dirt clots all around it. The gray colored bench could have been falling apart for all I knew, but he smiled to himself as he sat down, his eyes lighting up at the sight before him. I followed his actions, and as I took a seat, I could feel every thought that had been circling around in my mind disappear.