Chapter 8

Original Stats:
943 Views. 43 Votes. 25 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 8

━━━━━━━━━

I gasped, my lungs begging for air as my eyes flew open to see the new lab out before me. I sucked in as much air as my lungs could hold, as much as they could take in before I stumbled out of my capsule and clasped my hands onto the edge of the cyber desk at the center of the lab. I needed something to steady myself with.

"Bree?" Adam questioned as he fell out of his capsule, the banging sound as he hit the floor forcing me to twirl around to face him. "Did we do it?" He winced as his hands shot out to rub his knees. I shook my head as I moved my head up to look into Chase's capsule.

It was empty.

But it was there this time.

He was still gone.

"I don't know for sure." I muttered as I reached up to rub my head, feeling small tears on the sides of my face. I frowned and wiped them off quickly, not wanting Adam to know I had been crying. At least when we were fighting with Chase I had been only facing Chase himself. Adam and Leo hadn't been able to see how vulnerable I had felt in the moment.

But I had told Chase that I liked him. Practically that I loved him, and he had shot me down. He had ignored my plea even though he knew he felt exactly the same. Claiming that both my brothers and I, were crazy. Which, was something I hated. I didn't want him to think of me that way. Especially not when I had just found out that I had feelings for the smartest man alive.

"Let's get upstairs." Adam huffed as he picked himself up off the ground and limped over to the elevator with me. I slammed my hand against the button, my hand stinging at the impact before the doors slid open to reveal Leo. Just like three days ago.

"You guys!" He cheered as he reached out and threw his arms around us, pushing Adam and I a little to close together for comfort with his bionic arm. "I thought I lost you." He breathed happily, still standing in between the two elevator doors.

"You're bionic again." I grunted, Adam nodding as Leo slowly pulled himself off of us. I frowned and glanced around him into the elevator, half hoping Chase was in there with him.

"Was Chase upstairs?" Adam asked, taking the words directly out of my mouth. I nodded eagerly, my body tingling with nerves at simply the thought of seeing him again. Leo's eyes went wide just before the elevator doors slammed into his sides, his eyes screwing shut in pain as they slid back into the open position. Adam pushed the two of us into the elevator, the doors closing around no one this time as we waited for Leo's revelation.

"No." He sighed as he leaned back against the elevator wall. "I didn't see him up there. My first thought was to come down here to find you two." I felt my heart drop as I fell back against the elevator wall next to Leo, Adam looking just as defeated as I felt in the moment.

"What if we lost him?" I got out, speaking what was on all of our minds. "What if we really did lose him for good this time?" Leo shook his head, his hand resting on my shoulder as he reassured me silently that everything would be okay.

"Even if we did," Leo started, him even sounding unsure of his words, "We'll still have each other." I nodded, my head hitting the elevator as I fully gave up. "I'm really sorry I made that wish guys. This is all my fault."

I shook my head, knowing just who's fault it really was. "No, Leo. It's all our fault. I know that's exactly what I was thinking when you said it. It wouldn't have happened if we all didn't want it to." I sent a small smile Leo's way before the elevator doors opened, revealing an empty kitchen and living room.