Chapter 4

When the holiday break ended, the classrooms were once again filled with students all around. Ron and Hermione, Luna noticed had not spoken for the longest of time. Ron was now spending more time with Lavender than the rest of his friends ever since winning the Quidditch match. As she passed by the girl's bathroom,she heard crying and went in to investigate, thinking it was Moaning Myrtle. To her surprise, she saw Hermione, rubbing her eyes with tears streaming down her face. Luna went over and wrapped her arms around her, having a feeling that she knew what was behind it. Harry came around the corner and dropped off her stuff.

"Everything alright?" Harry asked awkwardly, looking over his shoulders nervously. Hermione doesn't speak, but her expression had turned to anger. 

"Clearly, he's too busy with his girlfriend and no longer cares about his friends at the people who actually care about him," Hermione said coldly. She snatched up her books and ran out before either of them could respond. Staring after her, Harry and Luna followed her and parted ways once they got outside. As Luna walked off to Transfiguration, she spotted Neville down the hall and called out to him

"Neville!" she shouted. Neville stopped for a split second, then sped up and disappeared around the corner. Confused, Luna hurried after him, but he had already gone into the classroom by the time she caught up. He had taken a seat next to Hanna Abott, who was whispering something into his ear.

"Luna, over here!" To her surprise, she spotted Rolf in the very corner of the room and with a reluctant glance at Neville, went to sit next to him.

"Oh, did you transfer to this class?" Luna asked him serenely.

"Yes, I asked Mrs.Sprout if I could still change my schedule. Usually I can't, but since I am one of her top students in herbology, she made an exception." 

"Ah I see," Luna replies, taking out quills, papers, and books. The rest of the class for the two of them was quiet. Rolf kept asking her questions about what magical creatures she wanted to study, but she wasn't really paying attention to them.  After class, she hurriedly gathered her things, but Neville was already disappearing out the door. She ran, nearly knocking over Rolf as she ran out the door. When she was close enough behind him, Neville stops abruptly. 

"Luna, I know you're there...shouldn't you go to your next class?" asked Neville, turning around halfway.

"We haven't spoken in a while. How about we walk to the dining hall together?" Luna asked.

Neville shakes his head "I've just been stressed out lately...just the thought of all those death eaters out there scares me...especially-" He stops, suddenly dropping his gaze to the ground. Luna steps forward and takes his hands gently.

"Whatever is out there, we can face it together.. We'll have our friends with us, we're never alone." Luna urged. Neville finally raises his face to look at her.

"Sorry Luna, but I just need time to think things over alone." He pulls his hands out of her grasp and runs off, leaving Luna staring after her. During lunch, she tells Ginny what happened.

"So you think he's been avoiding you? Could this be involved in what happened during the Christmas party?" Ginny suggested.

"But surely he knows that I don't feel that way about Harry...I mean you know that right?" Luna pointed out. Ginny's face turned red.

"Why should I know? I mean...I'm with Dean...and," She stops as Luna gives her a meaningful look. 

"Neville...maybe he doesn't understand why Harry asked you..I mean most people invite the person they like to a party, right?" Ginny implied.