Chapter 24: His heart

"Maybe one day, but for today and possibly many more days his heart didn't belong to me."

(fb)

[H.]

I look up at the stars as I lay in the blanket and I hear something behind me. I turn around to see it was just Emma.

"I thought I'd find you here." She says

"You know stalking is a serious offence." I say

She huffs and lays down beside me resting her head on my chest as I wrap my arm around her waist.

"What are you doing here all alone?" She says as she draws circles on my chest.

"It's a nice place to sit down and think."

"Oh about your dad?" She carefully says, and she turns so she's laying on her stomach.

"I have an odd question." She says and plays with her fingers. I can tell she's nervous and now I am.

"Shoot." I say rubbing small circles on her lower back.

"If you had a child what names would you pick?"

My eyes bulge out on alarm, "Christ Emma are yo-"

"NO! No! I'm just wondering, and I was just trying to change the subject. Don't worry this gal is kid free." She says and awkwardly chuckles.

"Lucy for a girl and Nathan for a boy."

"Lucy is a pretty name, and Nathan has good potential."

"They were my grandparents names on my dad's side. They meant the world to me, and to name one of my kids or both by them wouldn't be so bad." I say.

I blink and I'm back to reality.

"Harry?" Emma says "Did you hear any of that..?"

"You picked th-"

"Yes I did."

"Why did you leave?" I whisper, I felt so tired that I wasn't sure I was ready to hear what her answer might be.

I slowly slumped down into a lawn chair and sigh punching the bridge of my nose.

"When I found out I was pregnant, where you were in your own little world.. having a child would've just caused you more stress. Your dad just passed, the board members were giving you hell, I just needed to go and do this so you didn't have to." She stays where she originally stands, far away from me.

"And you left me, to go through that all on my own. You couldn't have possibly thought I wouldn't have been able to handle a child. Having you to come home to was the best part of my day, and when you left I didn't even have that. I had no peace."

She sighs and wraps her arms around herself. "You were gone most of the day and I didn't have a clue to what to do or how to be a mother. I had to go, I had to do this. I couldn't just wait for you to come home everyday, late nights, and even when you were home you'd go into your office and work some more. Work never left you, and I understood that. I couldn't expect you to just stop working hard and pause your life for me."

I stand up feeling completely offended. "But that's what you fucking did for me! You paused your life, dropped out of school, stopped perusing your dreams for me. Because you loved me. Did you not think I would do the same ? Because I would have."

She slowly steps over to me and rests her hand on my arm. "I know you would have." She whispers. "That's what I left, you would've handed the company over in a heart beat if it meant being with me. But I couldn't let you do that, this is your fathers work and I knew how much it meant to you."