2: starting new

So that pretty much brings us to the present. As we turned into the drive I looked upon our new home. The house was pretty big for a family of three. It was two story, modern and had a beautiful garden out the front. It was situated in a reasonably small, but ideal town by the beach. The hot sun shone in the cloudless blue sky and I felt a lovely warm breeze dance around me as I stepped out of the car.

Despite the terrible events of the previous day, I felt happy.

I could see a future in this place. I would start anew.

We carried the boxes we'd taken with us into the house and set them down by the door. The inside of the house was open, light and contemporary. The white marble kitchen and dining room were to our right with the living room to our left. In front of us was a few stairs leading up to a hallway.

Up the small stairs had a bathroom and the main bedroom to the left. To the right it had a study and a staircase going upstairs.

Up the stairs was a slightly smaller, but still spacious bedroom with an ensuite. 

My mum, who had followed me in, smiled, "This will be your room."

I grinned. There was a large window on one wall with a window seat that looked out towards the glittering blue sea. It looked beautiful, I couldn't wait to get down there.

Upstairs there was also a seating area and guest bedroom. I excitedly noticed that there was a whole wall of bookshelves in the upstairs living room. I loved reading so it was perfect for me. The window of the living room looked over the back garden. There was a huge pool with outdoor lounges,  a fire pit on the open patio and a grass area. Perfect for parties, I thought mischievously to myself.

"Ava, Teresa, the truck's here!" Dad's voice called from downstairs.

Yes! That meant I could unpack everything and settle in.

Later on I sat on my queen sized bed in my new room gazing at the view out of the large window opposite. I was in this beautiful, beachside town, with this gorgeous house and nobody knew who I was.

I could be anyone, and I wanted to be someone, not just a wallflower with no real friends and a mate who'd rejected her. I never again wanted to feel so pathetic, vulnerable and hurt like I had been in that moment. The worthlessness I'd been filled with was enough to tear a person apart. But not me. I wouldn't let it. I was going to take that crushing feeling and turn it into something.

I started my makeover with my hair. The next morning while I was exploring the local shops, I went to the hairdressers and got my hair dyed blonde. I then went on a huge shopping spree. I wanted a whole new wardrobe to suit the new me plus the warmer weather. I also got heaps of makeup and jewellery, which was something I never used to wear much of. It wasn't that I was out to impress anyone, but I wanted to make a good first impression and a new appearance would help me with my confidence.

I'd skipped school on Tuesday to settle into the new house, finish unpacking and go shopping, so Wednesday was my first day at my new school. I woke up earlier than usual to get ready. I showered, had breakfast, brushed my teeth, then started on my appearance. I blowdried, brushed, then loosely curled my blonde hair and left it down. I then put on some of my new makeup. I smiled at my reflection. I was already feeling more confident.

The outfit I chose was light blue ripped jeans, a white blouse with thin straps and white converse. I matched it with a tan shoulder bag, a gold watch, minimalist necklace and studs.