Star Trek Voyager: Bonds of Love, Ties of Family (Finale)

“Hi…” Sekaya greeted nervously as she warily approached Seven’s lonely position in the clearing. Seven started at the sound of her voice but didn’t reply, only narrowing her tear glazed eyes uneasily. The sight of this undeniably human sign of distress made Sekaya’s fear of the former drone, which had lingered stubbornly even after she’d gained insight into the younger woman’s unenviable trials, melted completely away and left behind a determined resolve to mend whatever fault she’d opened in Seven’s relationship with Chakotay. “I think we need to talk.” She stated firmly as she came to a halt a few paces from where Seven sat and waited for her to make the next move.

Seven couldn’t help but stiffen defensively at her words. After years of being at the receiving end of the Captain and the Doctor’s “talks”, generally on the error of her ways, steeling herself was practically a natural reflex. Despite this, her gaze still flickered upwards to take in the facial expression behind Sekaya’s surprisingly measured tone. Apprehension had replaced fear in Sekaya’s features, but what shocked Seven was the empathy and guilt which now shone out from Sekaya’s brown eyes, rather the judgemental resentment which had been there only the night before. “If you wish.” Seven finally decided to concede, shifting awkwardly on her perch on the boulder to allow Sekaya to join her.

Sekaya sat down gratefully, flashing her a brief, wobbly smile. “Chakotay’s looking for you, you know…” She paused as Seven winced in guilt, something she took as a good sign towards the depth of her feelings, and then nodded heavily in acknowledgement. “I myself was looking for you to apologise, I should never have been so harsh and unwelcoming towards you. I don’t really know you after all so I shouldn’t have…” She trailed off again, blushing, “Chakotay only just told me you had enhanced hearing, I was mortified when I realised you probably heard…”

“I did hear.” Seven confirmed bluntly while studiously avoiding her eyes, “But I do not require your apologies.”

Sekaya breathed a brittle laugh in reply. “Come on, you can be as angry with me as you want. Chakotay certainly won’t hold it against you at the moment…” She replied as light-heartedly as she could, thinking the other woman was dodging the conversation.

“You misunderstand me.” Seven interrupted sharply, a spark of agitation now lighting her previously deadened eyes. “You need not apologise because your…” She swallowed, her breath catching in her throat, “…concerns were well founded.”

Sekaya gave a slight snort of disbelief, unable to really believe what she was hearing. She peered at Seven questioningly, “Well, not in Chakotay’s book apparently, and he’s the important one in this equation, not me, right?”

Seven bit her lip as she sighed, her voice thick with emotion. “Precisely.” She answered, “His happiness is the most important thing.”

“He’s not very happy right now, in fact he’s miserable, and I should know what that looks like, being his annoying little sister.” Sekaya remarked, running a strained hand through her hair as she realised the subtly humorous approach wasn’t going to work, “Look Seven, if you really want him happy, and I believe now that you do, go back to him right now.” She advised gently but not without a little impatience.

Seven’s hands clenched tightly, causing shards of rock to crumble between her fingers. “I can’t! I could cause him pain…” She closed her eyes momentarily, Admiral Janeway’s revelations about Chakotay’s torturous widowhood in her timeline still fresh in her mind, “You…You were correct, it is highly unlikely I could give him the children he deserves…” She gulped, a single new tear following the stained path down her cheek, “I…I could malfunction at anytime…” She heaved a deep breath to calm herself and stared at Sekaya unwaveringly as she spoke her decision aloud, “That is why it is better to stop this now, before he is too attached to me…”