Chapter 6

[A/N - Picture of Yukino that I drew]

"16? You've become so beautiful, Yona." The Emperor sobbed, blowing into his handkerchief, "Happy birthday, Princess. Congratulations!"

Yona stepped out of her bedroom wearing a pink coloured robe tied with a maroon sash. She also wore an exquisite outer robe blooming with pink cherry blossoms. On her head was an elegant headpiece bejewelled with a variety of gems and pearls. Her beautiful red hair was out, free-flowing in the wind.

"Father, my hair is a curly mess." Yona complained, pinching a small bunch between her thumb and index finger. "I wanted to put my hair up today. It looks awful!"

"It's no use. The only thing this girl thinks about is her hair." Her father muttered, drooping his head down in dismay. Pinching the bridge of his nose, "I'm going to greet our guests."

As he left, Yona spotted Soo-Woon just arriving and rushed over to his side. Well, first grooming herself a little bit before dashing over to him. A little redundant, if you ask me...

Yukino peeked into the room, watching Yona talking to Soo-Won.

Yes, some progress! I feel like a mother watching my stupid child grow up...

...

Are you serious? Read the atmosphere, Hak!

Much to Yukino's dismay, Hak appeared between Yona and Soo-Won's conversation. Not much longer after making his presence known, Yona called her father a drunkard and dashed off.

"Would you stop being so formal?" Soo-Won said, a gentle smile on his face, "Call me Soo-Won like you did in the past."

"Lord Soo-Won, I do it to distinguish our social status." Hak shrugged, scratching his ear.

"How lonesome, General Hak!"

"Gah!" Hak coughed, feeling the wind knocked out his lungs. He turned around, not much of a surprise, it was Yukino.

Yukino wore a dark blue kimono adorned with purple flowers and and tied with a yellow sash. She also wore a pale blue overcoat that was decorated with icy cherry blossoms. Her outfit made her eyes flash with an intensity, like an electric-blue lightning bolt. Her hair was neatly tied half way up into a bun, as her snowy-white bangs parted evenly on both sides of her lightly powdered face. On her head was a simple headpiece decorated with golden leaves and ornaments.

Yukino slapped Hak on the back in response to his remark. "Why, we're all friends here, right? Relax a bit!"

Hak clenched his fist in irritation, quietly holding back his urge to mess up Yukino's hair. Instead, he sighed and said, "There are more important matters to be taken care of..."

"Eh, is that so? Well that makes sense since there was a suspicious figure waltzing about a few nights ago," Yukino smiled innocently, cupping her cheek with one hand as she looked at the boys.

"Now that you mention it, Yona told me something like that, too." said Soo-Won, looking as if he was in deep thought.

"WHAT...!?" Hak exclaimed, wondering why he was so late in noticing these things. Were his skills getting slightly rusty?

"You ought to investigate the people who came in today." Soo-Won suggested.

"Roger that!" Hak responded, quickly dashing out of the room, "I'm leaving the Princess in your care, Lord Soo-Won!"

Why not me...?  Thought Yukino, as she watched Hak disappear around the corner.

Later...

Yukino was wandering down the halls of the castle, enjoying the crisp, cool air of the night. Most people were asleep, but the excitement of returning after 3 years was too much for her. She needed to burn off the excess energy. Yukino carried a bottle of sake in her hands, in an attempt to find Hak and reward him for his hard work. Who knows, maybe a little drinking competition might be fun to end the night with.

"Ah, Min-Soo! Just the person I was looking for!" Yukino exclaimed, rushing over to the servant. "Do you mind giving this to Hak? I can't find him anywhere..."

Min-Soo paused, still carrying a bunch of scrolls in his arms. "Of course, Lady Yukino," he smiled, taking the drink and while balancing the remaining items on his left arm.

As he walked off, Yukino stood behind, looking out of the balcony. You could hear the the wind blowing every single leaf on the tree. The occasional hooting of owls and howling of wolves echoed through the night.

It's too quiet. Should I go and investigate a little?