03 | silence is suggestive

To clear the confusion, Carson and I do not have the same mother.

It is always so bloody weird when people just start comparing me to him. Hey, you don't look similar to him at all! He is blonde, you are not! Hell with it, blondes are more attractive! Bye! Had it never fucking occurred to anybody that people in this world have families that are not perfect and siblings do not exactly have the same parents? This is the shitty twenty-first century, people! Wake up!

When my biological mother ran away, my dad just seemed to make an immediate beeline to my stepmother. I felt like I had no say in anything-because I am a mute. And because I was a baby back then. But a small, minuscule part of my brain remembered being at their wedding, with stupid, pretentious flowers with stupid, pretentious guests and that stupid, pretentious priest who I clearly thought was a sex addict.

Being mute, I always do not express myself verbally (because I cannot), but the way I express myself is through telepathy. While my dad is drinking alcohol and spouting out nonsense, I am giving him the death stare and telepathically giving him threats and blackmails. People always think I am quiet and shy but if anyone visited my mind, they would have been shot down with my venomous thoughts and shit.

Them: Have you seen that mute, Cameron? He always seems so quiet and awkward, you know?

Me: What do you mean mudder-effer? Just because I am mute does not mean I should be called quiet! I literally cannot speak, you convict! Let me type this message on my phone to show you how loud I can be and-

"Earth to Cameron?" Carson asks me, snapping me back to reality.

I blink my eyes and realise I have been gripping on so tightly onto the table till my knuckles turned white. I quickly let go and let out a sigh. We have been in his room for hours and it was well past dinner.

Stupid, fucking bloody wanker who made me miss dinner.

  ⦿ 

"Welcome, Mr Grant. I have been awaiting and expecting you," Principal Gregor speaks as she arranges the files in a cabinet.

I nod and look around the office. Every corner of this place was clean and neat, piles of paper placed next to shelves of trophies and files. I slightly freak out at the alarming similarities of how she places her stuff in this office and the way I place my stuff in my room. Obviously, I need some messing up to do.

Nice to meet you too, Gregor. Now, I am sure we don't have to greet each other like we are in Lord of the Rings and greet each other like normal people. Let's shake our hands now. I want say that but what comes out instead is a bloody nod.

She clears her throat and says, "Well, I am sure you have the knowledge that you have certain handicap problems you have which disable you from speaking."

I resist the temptation to furrow my eyebrows in anger. What the hell? Handicap problems? Disable me from speaking? Is there anything she is not sure of? I nod slowly, not seeing where this is going.

She averts my eyes and proceeds to find for some imaginary lint on her 'power suit'. "Mr Grant, I have decided to assign a helper to you."

The word 'helper' echoes in my mind while I stare blankly at her. A helper? A fucking helper? Without knowing, I was glaring straight at her.

"Mr Grant, I am sure there is no need for you to have such an aggressive reaction. I am very sure that you will be comfortable with this decision."

What the fuck? I can literally see red at that moment and try to take deep breaths to calm myself but a diverse array of comebacks are accumulating in my mind and I seriously feel like slapping that pudgy face of hers. Do I not seem independent enough? I have been using a phone to express my thoughts for more than two whole years and right now, you want to assign me a helper? What a bitch.

I type into my phone and face it in front of her face. Blow me, Gregor.

Her eyes widen in shock and she places her hands on her chest. "Mr Grant, this warrants for deten-" Oh no, she did not. I walk towards her a few steps, continuing to glower at her. She retreated a few steps, her mouth open in horror. She stutters, "Mr Grant, calm down. There is no need to-"

I give her the finger and take a pile of papers on her table and throw them into her air. There was a pregnant silence between us as I scowl at her and she stares at me while her papers fly around and land on the floor. For a moment, I almost think she is in shock. I give her the finger again and take my phone and bag before dashing out, my face still red.

Fuck her. I need something to eat right now.

  ⦿

"Dude, I heard that you got suspended! Is that true?" Teddy asks in awe. Before I could answer, he says excitedly, "That is so badass! Why didn't you tell me about this? I should totally bring you to summer camp with me.Is what they are saying true? That you took Gregor' pen and stuck it up her nose? Or that she dropped the F-bomb on you when you did that to her? Wha about-"

I put my hand up to silence him and shook my head. His face droops down in disappointment and his shoulders sags. I smile and type into my phone. Well, I did tell her to blow me. And I did throw her fucking papers into the air. And flipped the bird on her. Teddy squeals in excitement and clears his throat upon realising what he did.

"Do you still have to get a helper though?" Teddy asks and then explains, "News spreads fast. Also, if the helper is a total chick, can you help me get her number? I sure hope it is Lisa. What do you think her boo-"

I shove his face and smile. I have been noticing that a lot more people are staring at me recently. And what scares me about their stares is the fact that they seem to be looking at me with respect. Not once in my life has anyone ever done that to me. Respect me. I have always been pitied with my stupid muteness and been made fun of for that. But this feeling that people respected me is...relishing. I can just bask in all this glory.

This is absurd. I should not be bloody thinking about others' approval for me. I scold myself while Teddy continues to ramble on and on about Lisa. I am supposed to be independent. Not someone's dickhead puppy. I sigh and block out Teddy's words. Maybe this day is not so bad after all. Now all I have to do is kill my helper when I meet him/her.

⦿

"Cameron Grant, I got a call from the principal. You have beens suspended? And you offended the principal as well?" My stepbitch questions in a stern tone. "Cameron, I expect better form you. Look at your brother, he has not done-"

I roll my eyes and ignore her, walking to my room and slamming the door. My stepbitch continues to rant while I plop my bag on the floor. Carson is no better than me. Fails every test. Stays back for summer school. The only thins that should comfort him is his trophies and his popularity with girls. Speaking of the annoying brother, here he is.

Carson is standing in the doorway and I look up to him. "Cam, I heard you got suspended. Teach me sometime?"

Yeah, right.