08 | silence is beneficial

"The governor refuses my offer! I lose the opportunity to go through his home to look for the key!" Teddy says with flourish. He creepily waves his hands as he throws the die. "Ah, shit-I mean, humbug! The governor decides to imprison me as a hostage while he will set out on his quest to find his daughter!"

The Debate team huddles closer to the board while I scratch my neck nonchalantly. They are playing a game of The Throne and the Sword, filled with "perilous danger, unexpected plot twists and a whole lot of fantasy shenanigans!"

"Wizard Cameron! It's your turn to roll the die and decide your fate!" Teddy rises his voice and cackles in an evil manner.

Call me that one more fucking time and your fate will be decided by me, I think while I move closer to the board and see my lone plastic figure of a wizard standing in the board. Sighing, I take the die in my hand and throw it recklessly onto the board.

Everybody holds in their breaths as if my actual life decided on it while I wait, staring at the board blankly. As the die continues to roll, I see the faces of the die slowly turning over and over. 10, 7, 1 and...4. The team sighs one relief and everybody except Teddy goes to grab a slice of pizza.

"Wizard Cameron, you-" I punch him in the shoulder and he rolls his eyes. "Fine. Cameron, your character earned access to the dungeons of the governor's home, where I, Sir Mighty Theodore, is imprisoned! I'm sure I don't need your help because I am able to slice through the bars of the cell with my sword, actually!"

Jordan reads the manual and says, "Actually, the cell in the governor's dungeon can only be broken out of with magic. Well, according to this piece of evidence anyway."

Teddy snatches the manual away and flips frantically to another page. "Well, according to this page," he points to a paragraph. ",my sword can cut through any kind of metal and..." he flips to another page and jabs his finger at another paragraph. ", This says that the bars of the cell are made of the special iron from the cave of Alcolps! So doesn't that-"

A spark flies between them and they start a mini-debate. Everybody groans and decides to go watch a movie instead. Meanwhile, I look at the time on my phone and see that it is just five-thirty. Kennedy's invitation leaps back from my mind and I shake it off. I cannot just leave this party to be seen at Kennedy's party.

⦿

Halfway into the movie Jurassic  Park,  Emma asks me, "Hey Cameron, I heard that you're I were invited to the party Kennedy is having right now?"

I shrug and she whispers to me, "I actually really want to go there right now. Maybe we can leave early to go there together?"

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. Why would she want to do that?

She notices my curiosity and explains, "I want to know what marijuana is like, okay? There are always rumors about the party after it happens and I just really want to know what the hype in the junk of the hunk is about!"

She already sounded high to me. I shake my head and take out my phone. We can't just fucking ditch Teddy, Emma. I see her face droop in disappointment. Fine. Okay okay, I will try to convince the rest of our team to come to the party as well. That way, we won't really be ditching anybody.

Emma nods her head eagerly like a little child and jumps in excitement. "Hurry up, go do it!"

I walk to the remote control and press the pause button, causing everybody to groan.

Tracy points her middle finger at me and smiles sweetly. "Cameron sweetie, if you are here to fucking make us do something, fuck off."

I grin sweetly and return the finger while typing, Tracy, calm the fuck down. Also, I'm just wondering if you guys would like to come to Kennedy's party. I got an invitation and shit.

Tracy's eyes light up and she leaps from the couch. "I'm going. I want to teach someone there a lesson."

I raise my eyebrows but do not question her. Holton jumps from the couch as well and announces, "I'm going as well because ... Tracy needs my help!"

Tracy gives him a questioning look but shrugs in agreement. "Whatever."

Teddy slaps on Holton on the back and says, "I'm going as well. Lisa's going to be there." I turn my head to Jordan who just nods.

Honestly, I am surprised they would want to end this party to go to Kennedy's. She is not someone we would be associated with. (Obviously.)

Teddy runs upstairs to his parents' room and asks his mom about the party. Through the unbelievably thin flooring upstairs, everybody can hear their conversation.

"Whose party?" His mom asks.

"Kennedy's," he answers. I can imagine his mom looking at him suspiciously. "She's a close friend with the debate team."

Holton silently gags.

"...Okay. But why go there right now? Everybody's doing fine here. Or so I assume from Tracy's swearing," his mom says.

Tracy pretends not to notice what she said and whistles to herself.

"Look, mom," Teddy begins. I can tell he is proceeding to his last resort. "Do you remember my dream of being the popular guy in school?"

His mum sighs. "Yes yes, I remember-DON'T say anything, you can go. Just be safe. Bring protection."

"Mom!" Teddy shouts in disgust.

Kennedy's house is many blocks away but we all decide to just walk there. As the debate team walks to there in the cool air of the evening, Emma steers closer towards me.

"Do you think Teddy's mom heard about what I said?" She asks me quietly.

I shake my head confidently. She looks around in relief. My attention turns to Teddy. I can see him trying to act calm while shoving his hands in his head comets but I can tell that under his pockets, his fingers were grasping a crumpled ball of paper, possibly filled with a plan of what to do when he meets Lisa.

The sound of music can be heard as we walk closer towards her house. The loud beats of the music vibrates the ground and soon enough, my heart is pounding along with it.

Cries of laughter echo through the air and my hands start getting sweaty. Whatever the hell os going to happen, I sure plan to come out of the party alive.