That Constant Sting (They Call Love)

Audrey awoke in a fuzzy sort of state. She could hear the incessant beeping of a machine next to her, the slight tug on her hand where an iv was placed. Her first conscious thought was that she had forgotten just how scratchy hospital sheets were. 

Before she could think anything else, Eli burst into the room, being closely chased by multiple nurses. He almost fell on top of her, squeezing his arms around her waist, trying to be gentle but failing. Audrey feebly placed her hands on his back, too weak to squeeze back. "Audrey." He whispered into her hair, as if he was confirming her existence to himself.

"Sir, get off of her!" A nurse demanded, pulling at Eli's shoulder. Eli let go and stood up. Audrey could see that he'd been crying. "Sorry." He said with a smile in his voice. The nurse grunted in his direction and looked over to Audrey. "Do you know him?" She asked roughly. 

Audrey nodded fervently, but got a headache and stopped, instead reaching her hand out for Eli, trying to convey his importance. She was still unable to speak, which was one of the more annoying things for her to go through. Eli grabbed onto her hand, and the nurses reluctantly left, sighing and huffing as they did. 

Eli continued to stare at Audrey for a few beats before quickly turning to pull up a chair beside her bed. Audrey left her iv clad hand wavering in the air, and as he sat he grasped onto it again. She shifted slightly to get a good look at him. 

He looked tired, his eyes rimmed red. His hair was all over the place, and there was blood on his shirt. Her eyes kept travelling, giving him a once over. She followed a dried blood trail down his arm and gasped slightly, using all her strength to pull up his arm to get a better view. 

When Eli just frowned in confusion, Audrey slid her hand out of his and felt along his bandage. Eli finally put the pieces together, somehow having completely forgotten about his wrists. He searched his mind for an answer, but his brain was too tired to lie. 

"I didn't mean it." Eli said, and Audrey's eyes spilled over with tears. Was it her fault? Did he do it because of her? Her lip trembled with the wave of guilt that washed over her.  Eli felt his heart drop and he wiped her cheeks. "I really didn't." He said quietly, and this time grabbed both her hands, her left with a small bandage wrapping it, her right with an iv dangling from it. Audrey took in a deep breath and waited for his explanation. "Or maybe I did, for a minute. I-" He dropped his gaze and sighed. 

"- I was so scared," His hands were gripping hers much tighter than ever before, "Scared of losing you." His voice hoarse and wobbly. These words were more than his mind could contain.

"I didn't realize how much you meant to me," Audrey watched his dark eyes glaze over, his brow crease, as he struggled to speak, "You're my family," He glanced up from his fixed eye contact with her sheets, where she stared at him in stunned silence, "My best friend," He added, and her delicate hands squeezed his. Eli looked away, "My first-"

She started to thumb circles around the back of his hand, holding her breath for him to finish his sentence. The word 'love' danced between them, burning, crackling, and simmering. Brighter and louder than any other words they had never said to each other. 

Eli's leg bounced up and down nervously, and he swallowed, feeling himself starting to cry, yet again. It was as if the floodgates had opened, and now that he had started, he couldn't seem to stop. His body seemed to be making up for all the times he'd held it back. 

Audrey squeezed his hands as tightly as she could, and then let go, reaching out to brush a hand along his wet cheek. Eli tried to contain a sob, scooting his chair closer to her bed and resting his head on her stomach. Despite herself, Audrey smiled slightly, love being the emotion that won over the sadness and concern and nervousness. 

She placed a delicate hand on his head and ran her fingers through his hair softly, closing her eyes and letting herself believe in that old adage; that love really could conquer all. 

((My shortest chapter ever!! What will happen next??? Thank you all for the support and love xxx ))