Take Care Pt.1

I'm a weird one. I like to go for runs really early in the morning before the sun and people are out and in the way. My favorite run path takes me right by my friend Mark's house. Of course, I don't bother him because it's too early. We're talking 3-4am. This morning's run has started out normal. I huffed along through the streets illuminated by small streetlights, occasionally grabbing my phone to change my song. I'm picky about what kind of music I run to. It has to be upbeat. I passed by Mark's house smiling to myself. I wonder what he dreams of...probaby video games. I continued my run until I reached the park, aka my turnaround point. I jogged through the trees and that's when I spotted something weird. A hand. I stopped running and walked over. There was blood all over it. My breath hitched, what had I just stumbled upon? I gingerly approached the body, careful not to disturb anything. It was Mark. I immediately dropped to my knees and started trying to wake him up. He groaned and looked at me. "This had better not be a prank." I said, seeing that he was now seemingly wide awake. "No prank..." he said. I noticed the bloodstains all over his white shirt. "What the fuck happened to you? I'm calling 911!" I said, reaching for my phone. "No. Just take me home. I'm okay..." I didn't believe him, but he seemed insistent that I not call 911. I went against my better judgement and picked my friend up to the best of my ability. I half dragged, half carried him to his steps. Out of breath I collapsed. "What happened?" I asked. "I think I got mugged." he said. "I was out filming something...and some dudes came by...I don't really remember. I'm cold though." It definitely wasn't cold outside. "You're all bloody." I said. I pulled his shirt over his head. Stab wounds. I gasped. They weren't bleeding, but they were definitely deep. I looked at Mark and he knew what I was thinking. ''Don't call. I don't want to go to the hospital again." "Mark, you got fucking stabbed." "So what? I'm alive. I'll be okay, just take me inside. My keys...probably got stolen with my wallet. Just go onto the porch and dig up the flower closest to the step." I obeyed and sure enough, there was a key. Buried-clever. I unlocked the door and dragged him inside. "I've got to clean you up." I said. Mark didn't protest. I filled up his tub and stripped him down. I dragged him into his tub and the water turned red without much time lapsing at all. He looked pained. I'm sure the sting of the water was unbearable. I dabbed at the torn flesh gently with a washcloth. He looked away, not wanting me to see him cringing like he was. "It's okay. I'd be bawling right now." I said, softly. He didn't respond. I cleaned him up as best as I could, draining the tub and grabbing a clean towel. I was unsure how to get him out. "Um..." I said aloud, thinking. "Don't worry. I'll get out." "No!" I said, putting my hand out. I half dragged him out, careful not to slam him against anything. Together we sat on the bathroom floor. I dried him off, paying special attention to his cuts. I dressed his wounds and pulled a shirt over him carefully. I slipped him into a pair of boxers and called it good. He isn't that heavy, so I grabbed him and carried him to his bed, laying him down gently. He breathed heavily. "The pain?" I asked. He nodded, biting his lip. "You really need to go to a hospital, Mark." he shook his head violently. Stubborn, stubborn man. "Let's just get you comfy. I'm bringing you something to drink and some painkillers." I left his room and rummaged around until I found what I was looking for. I brought it back. He looked terrible, but I suppose if I had been assaulted like that I wouldn't look too good either. I forced the pills down his throat. "Look you'll feel better later, trust me." He looked at me. "I have to make videos." he said. My mouth hit the floor. "Not right now you don't. Do you understand how serious this is, Mark? If anything you should be calling your banks to tell them that your financial information has been stolen." He shook his head. "That can wait. Money on cards is insured." he wheezed. "Mark, please. Stay in bed." he looked at me weakly. "(Y/N), people are going to-" "Mark!" my voice shook the room. "Jesus...if you want me to, I'll post something to twitter or whatever." Mark looked at me. "Please do." he said. "I take it your phone was stolen too?" he shook his head. "They missed it. It's in my pants pocket." I grabbed his pants from the bathroom and looked through the pockets. Sure enough there was a phone there, cracked and battered like its owner. I posted a vague update and gave it to Mark for approval. He just nodded, tipping his head back and exhaling hard. I was concerned. "I'm not leaving your side." I said, sitting down. "Don't." Mark said. "I won't. I can't." I said. "Come closer." he said. I obeyed. I brought him into a hug. "Poor baby." I said, sympathetically. "I'm okay." he insisted. I knew better. This was going to be a long, uncertain road.