Pep Talk - Connor McDavid (Requested)

It was a snowy day, and you were getting some movies and popcorn ready for your movie night with your boyfriend, Connor. You had been dating the Edmonton Oilers player for close to a year, and you had just moved in together. He was finishing practice, and then was going to come home for your movie date. You were ready for the night, dressed in some of your favorite pajama pants, and one of Connor's long sleeve Oilers shirts.

Just as you were finishing up the bowl of popcorn, you heard the door open and shut quickly. A smile came across your face, as you walked out of the kitchen to greet Connor.

"Hey babe how was practice?" you asked cheerfully.

He looked up and nodded to you some. "It was alright." He said, setting his bag down by the door and taking his shoes off.

"Just alright?" you asked, walking over to help him get his jacket off.

He nodded and took his beanie off, pushing his hair back. "Let's get the movie started." He said, changing the subject rather quickly.

You looked at him for a minute, and then nodded, not wanting to press him any further. "Why don't you get changed into some comfy clothes, and I'll get things started down here?"

He nodded and headed upstairs to change.

You got the bowl of popcorn and set it on the coffee table. You put on his favorite comedy movie, and sat on the couch waiting for him. Connor came down in some sweatpants and a t-shirt, grabbing a bottle of water before he sat down next to you. You looked over at him and could tell that something was bothering him.

"Connor, what's up?" you asked softly.

He shook his head some. "I don't wanna talk about it." He said.

You frowned, and held his hand gently. "Babe talk to me, please?"

He sighed and shook his head. "I sucked today. I couldn't make a goal for my life, and everything I did was so far from my best." He said, rubbing his head. "Maybe I'm too young for this, you know? Maybe I should just take a break and come back when I'm a bit more experienced." He said thinking out loud.

"Connor, babe you're an amazing player. You are incredible, and so what if you're young? In my opinion, it's better to start young because you can play longer that way." You said, trying to reassure him.

"You're just saying that because you're my girlfriend." He said, leaning back on the couch.

You look at him and shook your head. "No, I'm saying that because I mean that. You're the best player that I know, and you work harder than most of the guys out there. Connor, you're incredible, and so what if you had a bad day? You're still the best player you can be. The Oilers are the luckiest team out there because they have you. Just because you're young, doesn't make you less of a threat to the other teams." You said, and held his hands gently. "Connor you're the best." You said, smiling softly.

After your mini speech, a small smile finally crept onto his face. "Alright, I believe you." He said softly. "Thank you so much, Y/N." he leaned over and hugged you tight.

You smiled, knowing that he was feeling a little better. "You're welcome, that's what I'm here for." You said, teasing.

"I really appreciate that. You know how to cheer me up no matter what." He said and pushed your hair behind your ear gently. "How did I get so lucky?"

You smiled, blushing a bit. "I think that I'm the lucky one here."

He smiled and kissed you gently. "I think we're both pretty lucky." He said, pulling you against his side so you could cuddle up against him.

"I think so too." You said, and rested your head on his shoulder, as you wrapped your arm around his waist. "Let's get this movie party started."

Connor played the movie, and you two watched a few movies and had popcorn, and ended up ordering pizza for dinner. After a few hours of movies, he fell asleep on your shoulder, snoring lightly. You didn't have the heart to move him, so you grabbed a blanket that you had brought down earlier, and draped it over the both of you. Just as you were getting comfortable, you heard Connor hum some as he woke up, rubbing his eyes.

"Hey I didn't mean to wake you up." You said softly.

"No it's okay, we should head to our bed." He said, standing up and stretching.

"Alright, I'll be up in a minute." You said as you got the popcorn and pizza cleaned up, while Connor headed upstairs.

When you finished cleaning up, you headed upstairs to your shared bedroom. Connor was already snuggled up in bed, with his shirt lying on the floor next to the bed. You smiled, and turned the light off, crawling under the blankets with him. When you closed your eyes, you felt his arms wrap around your waist, pulling you closer to him. He nuzzled his head into your shoulder and let out a content sigh.

"I love you so much, Y/N." he said tiredly into your shoulder.

You smiled and rubbed his back gently, kissing his forehead. "I love you too Connor."

You both fell asleep holding each other, and slept peacefully. The next day he was back to his normal self, and kept telling you that it was due to your pep talk the night before. You were glad to see your boyfriend smiling and goofing off with you like normal.