Chapter Three

In The Heat

Chapter Three

Caroline Ryder

The food was subpar. The cubed cheese had taken on that revolting rubbery texture and the sliced fruit was playing host to a rowdy group of flies. I snacked on a handful of chips but ended up tossing them in the grass when I realized they too, had fallen victim to the heat and grown soggy.

Han stood beside me, yanking at the collar of his black dress shirt. "How much longer do you think we have to stay?" he asked, his pale cheeks flushed with color.

I grimaced as I looked over to our dad. He was talking animatedly with a group of his friends, completely overjoyed with the return of Alpha Tyler Trip and star struck after talking with him. Of course, he'd been angry I had quipped up but my father's anger was never direct or lasting.

I sighed and yanked at the hem of the tight, blue dress. "Knowing Dad, we'll be here all day."

Han rolled his eyes. "Stupid overrated Alphas," he hissed, "Mick and Dad are whipped for the guy—he hasn't done anything for us yet."

"He's the Alpha," I mumbled, only half listening. Han was a professional at ranting. As soon as he found an interesting topic and formed an opinion he was set for the day—for the year. He could talk about the same thing until his tongue fell out of his mouth.

"Sure he is," Han agreed dismissively, "but is he?"

I was looking around the pack house, watching the members of my pack mull around and converse. There were faces I knew, faces I had grown up with and then there were people I had never seen before.

We had lost a significant amount of members during the Feral War—more than any other pack in the East—as because of our diminished numbers, we were forced to take in strays from all over the country.

Everyone seemed to be a good mood for the most part. It was mostly smiles and laughter filling the space as people fought for shade and seating. Kids were running around, screaming and scrambling and screeching with joy. I caught Libby watching them affectionately, her expression made my stomach twist.

I moved my gaze away immediately and caught the Alpha mingling with his pack members. He was a little stiff but friendly enough as he made the rounds, shaking hands and laughing when it was appropriate.

Perhaps unknowingly, the Alpha was constantly being surrounded and surveyed by his inner pack. Rowan, the adorable third in command. Sarah, the stern lead enforcer. Jackie, the kind peacemaker. Aaron, the new lead lookout. Bennie, the gangly Omega.

They watched the Alpha closely, circling and exchanging with one another. I wondered after them for a few minutes, finally deciding that they were worried about their friend and wanted him to do well.

"—and you'd think that a future Alpha would stay and—"

"Han," I interrupted, "he's the Alpha and he's back. You have to give him a chance to impress you."

Han rolled his dark eyes. "Don't see why I should when—" Han quieted down when a group of young men approached, heading for the food laid out beside us. They didn't seem to mind the condition of the appetizers as they scoffed them down, forgoing plates and cutlery.

Han made a small sound of distaste in his throat as he shoved his hands in his pockets and wrinkled his nose. One of the men turned, his lip curling as he caught sight of Han and glared. "You have a problem?"