Chapter Two

In The Heat

Chapter Two

Tyler Trip

            I never had the chance to adjust to the heat before Rowan latched himself on to me, adding the warmth of his body to my already overheated space. I laughed and patted Rowan on the back, giving him a quick squeeze before attempting to separate our bodies.

            Rowan pulled back, his hands firm on my shoulders, a grin stretching the entire length of his face. "It's so good to see you man," he beamed, blue eyes wide and sincere. "You haven't changed at all." This of course, wasn't true.

            I couldn't have been further from the person I was a year ago. Before, I had been arrogant, cocky, self centered. Nothing could have touched me during that time. I was Alpha to be, mated to a beautiful she wolf.

            I had everything. Power, friends, a mate, a future with a guaranteed legacy. I was admired and respected, lusted after and loved. Loved. Loved by Del. Beautiful, sweet, Del. Expressive and funny, open and loving. She gave her love to me so easily. I felt like I deserved it then. I never did. Never came close to deserving her affection.

            And then she died. And that version of me died with her.

            "―can't wait for things to go back to normal," Rowan was saying, "it's been so topsy-turvy for so long, you know?"

            I blinked, forcing a smile onto my face as I clapped Rowan on the back. "Yeah, normal."

            Rowan pushed his hair out of his eyes, unable to stay still. "It's been so weird acting as Beta, cool but so not my speed. I'm just thankful you're back in the chair―or well, starting in the chair. It'll be nice to do what I'm meant to."

            I grimaced. I realised my absence caused strain on the pack. My biggest worry was the impact that strain had created. "Don't worry, buddy, we'll be okay from here. No more stretching to fit another's roles. I'm back and I'm ready to set things straight. Normal."

            "Oh man, I'd like a slice of normal right about now!" Rowan looked over his shoulder before turning back to me, "Ryan's been a little more aggressive lately. He wants to change pack borders, he set it in motion as soon as he found out you were coming back."

            For a moment, I felt as though my lungs were encased in steel. "More aggressive?"

            Rowan nodded. "He's like the Alpha position more than a Beta should."

            I gritted my teeth. "Do you believe this to be a problem?"

            "In the making," Rowan replied, nervous.

            I smiled and elbowed him, trying to ease the mood. "Don't worry, Rowan," I said, "I'm going to take care of this pack. I promise."

            Rowan smiled. "I know you are, I can feel it, this is where everything goes right."

            "Don't jinx us!" Ryan boomed, approaching us with an ease that resembled the stride of an Alpha. My wolf was quickly becoming restless. Ryan stopped just in front of me, meeting my eyes squarely and holding out his hand. "Nice to see you, Trip."

            I hoped my smile wasn't too stiff. "You too, Ryan, how are things?"

            Ryan smiled, the scar that connected his upper lip and nose twisted his face. "Oh you know, busy. Well, you don't know. Not yet." I felt Rowan tense beside me and worked hard to conceal my own surprise. I had been on Mt. Timbre for all of five minutes and I was already being challenged.