3: Pain

"UGH!"

"Elle, just breathe okay?" Adrian holds my hand tight.

"Yeah sure, I have a super pounding headache, fever, my body's aching and I feel so hot,yeah I could still breathe!" I moan. It has been a month since the party and my supposedly 'house arrest'.

Now I've come up with a terrible sickness. I don't know what it is, and I feel sick to the core. I'm sweating like a fountain, and my body literally feels like it's being hit by a whip, but a million times more painful. It started yesterday, and Kaitlyn panicked so she found one of my brothers instead of the school nurse. My brothers refuse to call the nurse, they say that they could handle it on their own. They have such high pride. Since I am such in a misery I barely give anyone sleep with my screaming. It's lucky that no one has gone to the principal yet. But then again, it's my brothers we're talking about, and they probably paid the people we--I--disturbed.

"God, make it stop!" I cry, tears streaming down my face. I grip the stress ball they gave me harder.

My brothers are in our dorm again, to take care of me. Kaitlyn left for her classes, and my brothers skipped school just for me.

"Turn the air conditioner up!" I yell.

"It's already at the highest," Chris told me.

"Then why is it so bloody hot?!" I grip harder.

"It's gonna go away, it's gonna go away..." Ben coos to me.

"No it's not," I... Growl? Since when did I learn to growl? But I guess the pain is pushing me too much.

"Make it stop!" I scream, as I felt another surge of pain.

"Shhh..." Adrian starts stroking my hair.

"Yeah buddy, keep on stroking my hair because you'll be losing yours soon!" My temper gets ahead of me. I just want the pain to stop.

It doesn't do my temper good when suddenly Dean bursts into laughter. "Man, she got you good!"

I whip my head towards him and let out another growl. He holds his hands up in surrender and resumes playing on his phone.

"If this was the feeling of giving birth, I will never give birth!" I exclaim as another surge of pain shoots through my body.

Suddenly the door opens and sin came the principal and a random student.

"What is the meaning of all this racket?"

Adrian narrows his eyes at him. "I think you know perfectly what's happening," he seethes, venom dripping from his words. I have never seen him like this. Never.

The principal looks nervous and just nods his head. He hastily closes the door.

"When I am okay again-" I let out another yelp. "-I swear that I will get an explanation from you all, even if I had to wring it by your neck!" I growl.

The door opens again, and I growl at it.

"Is she okay?" I hear a masculine voice say. He only opens the door partially, so I could not see him.

Chris stood up and hisses to the mystery man, "You know perfectly well to not show up in the middle of it!"

"Of course..." Chris steps outside and shut the door. I can't make out their conversation, but it seems to be a heated one.

"UGH!" I moan again from the pain.

My brothers have long stopped comforting me. Instead, they are huddled in a circle at the opposite side of the room, whispering amongst themselves.

I throw the stress ball I was holding to them, but they don't even notice it. I wave my hands and sarcastically say, "Hello? Sick person here!"

I grit my teeth and growl again because of the pain. They break off their little meeting and rush back to me.

"Don't you have any painkillers for this?" I whine.

When they shake their heads no, I roll my eyes. "Come on, not even any morphine?" When the answer is no I just run out the door. The pain was unbearable anymore and I am going to the Clinic, if it's the last thing I do, and even if it's the middle of the night and my face will probably be appearing on the school paper by tomorrow.

Loony Girl on a Morphine Raid!

"We must wait." I stop running when I hear Chris' voice.

"But-"

"She's still going through it. Don't push her too much," Chris argues.

"Don't be stupid, their numbers are growing." I hear footsteps and hope they are directed in the opposite direction I was in.

"Elephant? What are you doing here? You should be resting." Suddenly Chris appeared beside me and firmly grabbed my hand.

"What did you hear?" he demands. His eyes bore into mine with such intensity that I want to crumble away. Boy, was I in for another lecture.

"Uhh--" Suddenly the burning pain becomes too intense for me and my knees turn to jelly. I fall and he calls for the others whom I presume were  looking for me at the moment in the other direction. They are so clueless.

Suddenly my legs are heating up, hotter than, I guess, even the sun. Just think of going into the oven in summer and turning it on at the highest and stay there for five hours then multiply that by a thousand. That's ten percent of how I feel.

The feeling spreads through my body and everything goes black.

~•~

I had a dream. There was a man showing me pictures of warriors and telling me, "This is your fate."

If that creeped me out, I am creeped out more when I wake with my brothers' faces inches from mine. I do the rational thing. I scream.

And if that isn't creepy enough, we are in the forest. And my hair is full of fallen leaves and twigs.

"Elle, do you feel anything?" Dean asks, taking a step towards me.

Actually, no. I don't feel anything. I'm numb.

I just shake my head. I don't want to speak, my throat is still burning.

They hand me a tumbler of water, which I drink in a minute. When they ask if I want more, they run and give me three when they get back.

"Look who's got manners now," Dean smirks teasingly. I give him a look while Ben elbows him.

I am enjoying my fifth tumbler of water when I hear a voice.

Hi Elle!

I am so startled I nearly throw the tumbler.

"What's the matter, Elle?" Adrian furrows his eyebrows.

"The-there's this voice inside my head and I don't know what it is," I stutter.

"Are you going crazy or something?" Ben asks.

"No! Shut up!" Suddenly I'm more sensitive to sounds. Kind of what you'd feel like if you have a migraine. You hate every movement, and every sound.

"Are you—"

"Stop it!" I cover my ears and everything goes black again.