2: Loony Girl

I blink, then suddenly he is gone. I look around the room again.

"Elle? Elle? Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I turn to Kaitlyn and push the pair of blue eyes to the back of my mind.

I look around the room and notice that almost everyone is gone. I stand up and we make our way back to the dorm.

"What happened to you back there?" Kaitlyn asks.

"Nothing, I just remembered something," I smile half-heartedly.

We walk off and attend our classes. They aren't so bad. Except for the fact that I got branded 'Loony Girl' because of my non-stop laughing in the assembly hall earlier.

"You looked off your rocker so people assumed that you were an escapee from the mental ward," Adrian laughs. "Even I thought you were!" he adds.

We are in the cafeteria just because we have spare periods. That's how us siblings bond. We meet at every time that's possible, so we are very close.

I throw a grape at him. "You're not helping!"

He cracks up again and puts an arm around me. "Yeah I love you too."

I tense when I hear something. A low, deep growl.

I glance around. Nothing seems out of place.

"What's wrong, Elle?" Adrian looks tense and, is it me, nervous? It is their natural instinct to be concerned and over-protective of me, but somehow this time it's more than that.

"Nothing, it was probably just my imagination." I resume eating my burger.

~•~

A week passes and I'm fitting in. Well, as fitting in would be if everyone knows you as 'Loony Girl'.

But everyday as I walk down the halls, I always feel this... presence lingering around me. Like there isn't any second that a pair of eyes are watching me.

"There's this big party later and it's time to make an impression." She grabs my hand and pulls me into the walk-in closet that we both share.

We spend the next hour throwing articles of clothing around. Literally. The floor of the closet looks like it just survived a war of t-shirts, dresses, feathered scarves, and... well you get the point.

I finally decide on an innocent gold sundress that matched my eyes and top it off with Vans.

"Really? Vans?" I give a confused look at Kaitlyn's raised eyebrow.

"The Vans have got to go. Put these on instead." She hands me a pair of wedges that I grimly accept.

She puts on a plain white shirt tucked into a skirt. She tops it off with a vest and heels.

"I think you should leave your hair like that," I comment when I see her grab her curling iron.

"Really?" She makes a face at her hair.

"Positive," I smile.

~•~

When come outside to the sort-of garden of the school, it looks like a cross between a ball and a club.

For one thing, the girls are all dressed rather formally, making me feel so underdressed. The guys don't care, they wear what just looks like their daily wear.

The speakers are set up around the grounds and are blaring Macklemore. All around, students are dancing even though there is a designated dance floor.

There is a long table to the side where the food's at. The people around there are holding glasses of drinks, probably punch, which I suspect are spiked.

The trees surrounding the whole setup have beautiful twinkling lights attached to them. The cool breeze, which is strange for summer, completed the mood.

"Let's dance!" Kaitlyn yells over Miley Cyrus. I nod and we go to the crowded dance floor.

After a few songs I grow tired and excuse myself. I head over to the refreshments table and grab a cup of punch. It seems harmless unlike what I thought so I gingerly take a sip of it. It tastes fine so I take another sip.

But before I can, someone knocks it out of my hand.

"Hey, don't push me!" The random guy who knocked my drink out of ny hand yells at somewhere. I turn to where he is looking and see those same set of blue eyes from earlier. I instantly freeze at the spot.

He just turns his back and walks away.

"Miss," the guy who spilled my drink pokes me. I look at him in annoyance. "He says, 'Don't drink the punch. It has alcohol in it.'"

"Who is he?" I ask him, suddenly curious of the mysterious person.

He looks nervous. "He? Who said 'he'? I didn't. I said 'someone'." He nervously tugs at his collar.

"Oh, I am so dead," he mutters to hinself. He looks positively nervous so I just let him scurry away.

The guy with crystal blue eyes certainly makes me curious. There's just something that makes me want to know more about him.

~•~

"Elle! Where have you been? Your brothers have been looking for you! We were worried sick!" Kaitlyn lectures. I note that she blushes when she mentions my brothers, meaning that Chris talked to her.

"Was I really gone that long?" I point out.

"Yes, and we would like it if you would not pull a stunt like that again." We both jump at the voice.

My brothers come, one by one, and start to lecture me. But Dean, the closest to me out of all of them, just laughs it off. But still, a lecture is a lecture, and four of them isn't really much fun.

"You, are under house arrest." My eyes go wide at Adrian's demand.

"WHAT? This isn't your house, and if you remember, we lost ours." That hits a nerve.

"That is not my fault. It's theirs," I don't catch the last part because he says it quietly.

"But please don't put me under house arrest. It's the first week!"

"Go easy on her Adrian. She'll have a tough year." I only hear bits and pieces of what Chris says.

"Go back to your room," Adrian sighs.

Ben and Dean each take my shoulders and take me back to my room. But before we leave, I hear Chris and Adrian say something about 'mate' and 'turning'. Whatever that is.

Behind us, Kaitlyn grimly follows sensing the tension between me and my brothers.

But as soon as we reach the door to our room I hug them both. They squeeze back.

"'Night guys," I stand on my tippie-toes and peck them on their cheeks. We are sweet that way.

"We're sorry for Adrian. You know he's only protecting you," Ben tells me.

"I know." I smile half-heartedly. I am too exhausted to ask questions.

They leave, and before I close the door I see a pair of crystal blue eyes.