Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE ✿

CHAPTER ONE

The Poetry of a Hat

✿✿✿

Natalia Creswell was not one to change her daily plans on account of a cloudy sky. In fact, it seemed that now matter how the clouds were painted that day, whether the heavens promised rain or sun, that there was no stopping a pleasant visit to her grandfather.

    The weather had no hold on her, and neither did the poor family maid pounding her fists on the witch's bedroom door.

     "Miss Cres - Lia, open the damned door!" Ann stated indignantly, her professional decorum falling away as her palms rapped furiously against the smooth wood, and the girl within gave an almost lighthearted laugh as she danced about her bedroom, tugging on a pretty white frock with blue-hued flowers sewn into its folds. Her bob of short flaxen curls swayed around her face like wispy blonde feathers, and she fumbled with a little pearly pin as she stuck it gently to pin up a few of her soft locks.

    "Merlin's saggy trousers, Lia, open the blasted door!" Ann gave the wood another hard thud with her fist, fiddling with the unmoving knob as well. "If your father hears about this -"

    "Now Ann, when have I ever been caught?" Lia sang, wincing for only a heartbeat when the hairpin scraped against her scalp.

    "Five times, if you don't count when you used your grandfather as an excuse," was Ann's disgruntled answer.

    Lia only laughed, then continued to ready herself for her journey.

    As the rather aggressive knocking continued, the witch swiftly shifted over to extend her fingers, reaching out to wrap gently around the familiar creme-colored wood adorned ridges. Her wand of holly wood and unicorn hair made her capable of fine magic, and her hand gripped it comfortably.

    She slipped it away into the folds of her dress, knowing the placement of a well-hidden and familiar pocket by heart. She couldn't have any No-Majs - or Muggles, as Ann called them, which she found rather strange - seeing such an object out in the open. She reached over to grasp her plain, grey-lined coat as well, knowing it would help conceal the easily-seen, pretty skirts she wore.

    Suddenly, the bedroom door blasted open, sending it crashing into the wall adjacent to it as the maid huffed, wand flicking from her side. The other girl gave a squeak, jerking away from the vanity and stumbling back, a goofy grin still plastered on her face.

    "Lia, you vixen - the moment your father leaves, and you're already aiming to sneak out!" Ann said, a strong Scottish refrain in each syllable, and she shoved her wand back into the sewn pockets of her apron. She eyed the girl up and down, eyeing the handsome dress that hung on her slender, pale frame, and the grey trench coat she now cradled in her arms.