***Chapter Five

*** u n e d i t e d ***

CHAPTER FIVE

A Man and
His Case

✿✿✿

    The hinges whined as the door slowly opened inward. Through the crack in doorway peeked a familiar head of cropped black hair and a slightly-worried female face. A bright smile graced Lia's lips, and from the pink sofa began to greet her happily.

    "Hey, Tina -" she started, but her voice broke at the end when two other heads bobbed in behind her, slowly, warily, and both were male. One, a short man of medium girth and dark hair, who was dressed in some form of formality and seemed to be sweating profusely. He took slow steps, trying not to stagger. The other, a tall, lanky man with short messy brown curls, shuffled in from behind. His eyes darted around nervously as he tightly clutched a thick leather briefcase.

    "Teenie!" Queenie chimed, her fingers twiddling playfully as the needle continued waving around her creation. "You brought men home!"

    As she spoke, the two men swiveled to look at the half-dressed beautiful woman, who was smiling coyly.

    The man with the case flicked his hazel gaze away with ease, swallowing and taking in the condo. However, his portly counterpart openly gaped at Queenie, blinking several times, and remembered to steady his footing. The Legilimens bit her lip, still managing to smile, as she gazed curiously at the sweating man. Lia stifled a giggle when Tina, who tiredly hung up her navy trenchcoat, muttered, "Put some clothes on, Queenie."

    The other witch made a small o with her rosy lips, and with a flick of her wand the navy dress floated gracefully off of the mannequin and fluttered around her slender form. As she daintily slipped her arms through the sleeves, her sister looked at Lia with raised brows. "Miss Creswell -"

    "Lia," the blonde teen interjected a little too loudly, causing the two men to jump. The dark-haired one was torn from goggling at Queenie and turned too quickly. He stumbled backwards, and Lia leapt from the long armchair. Her hands gently steadied him, and he said in a low squeak, "Thanks."

    "No need for calling me 'miss,' Tina," she reminded kindly in a quieter tone, eyeing the two men with an amused sparkle in her eye. She wondered what the ex-Auror had gotten herself in to. "Who're your friends?"

    Tina smirked lightly, making her way across the furnished room. "This is Mr. Scamander, he's committed a level three misconduct."

    Lia arched a brow, but a little thread of excitement appeared within.

    "He's a criminal?" Queenie inquired the obvious fact appealingly, stepping lightly away as her sewing supplies filed through the air and arranged itself neatly in a lidless ribboned box. A little grin speared on her face. Then her sweet glance found the other man, who was still swaying slightly.