***Chapter Ten

*** u n e d i t e d ***

CHAPTER TEN

Tales of Beedle the Bard

✿✿✿

     A pounding at her door made Lia jolt from her light sleep, and she rolled off of the sheet onto the floor. With a gruff "oof," she clambered to her feet and stumbled to the bedroom door.

     The sight of Jane's tanned complexion and shining dark eyes greeted her at the threshold, and happiness was apparent in her features. As usual she was dressed in patternless, smooth fabrics and had her brimmed hat held firmly against her chest.

     Lia immediately felt herself brighten, and she threw her arms around Jane in a croaky laugh. "Please say you're here to save me," she muttered into her friend's hair. She felt her nod into the crook of her shoulder.

     "I got Father to convince yours to let us have you for the day," she murmured in quiet excitement. "And possibly throughout some of the day for the rest of the week, since we're leaving for Romania soon."

     Lia pulled away slightly, crinkling her nose. "What - are you wearing perfume?" she questioned after receiving a rather strong waft of a strange aroma that seemed to singe the insides of her nose.

     Jane's smile turned to an amused slyness as she placed her hat atop her head. "That's the other news," she whispered, waving the sleepy blonde back into her bedroom. "Get dressed first, and hurry!"

     Still confused, Lia stumbled back into her room and began to grope around through her dresser for something - anything - that was presentable. She managed to tug out a prettily-fitting olive green dress and yank it over her head sloppily. With a muddled attempt to stumble into some stocking, Lia pondered about why on earth -

     Oh.

     Oh.

     There could only be one thing that had Jane this excited that she would be wearing perfume. She darted over to the door in a newfound soberness, anxiously pressing her ear against the thin white wood. There were multiple voices, more than just Jane and the two's fathers. Lia's sleepiness seemed to vanish altogether in a slight panic as she sprang up to make her appearance presentable in the least.

     Jeremy Lillings had arrived in New York, and he was standing in her very living room.

✿✿✿

     With a sudden crack, the man called Graves warped into reality, nearly scaring Credence out of his skin.

     "Credence, have you found the child?" he inquired swiftly, holding back nothing as he tromped forward. The boy shuddered backwards out of fright, bowing his head in some form of shame. No ... no, he had not. The stinging in his palms reminded him of that.