Chapter 8

-- continue pestering --

TG: ...
TG: sorry
CG: WHY DO YOU KEEP APOLOGIZING? IT'S GETTING KIND OF ANNOYING.
CG: IT'S FUCKING DIFFERENT. ARE YOU OKAY?
TG: ....
CG: DAVE??

Dave Strider's POV:

Pathetic tears fall down my face. The same feeling of losing control took a hold of me, the same way it did when I punched Eridan to save Karkat at school. I just kept punching and punching; my anger was too much. I realized earlier that I acted just how Dirk would act toward me if she was mad; punching and kicking, non-stop.

What happened to me?

I can't be like Dirk, I won't let it happen. But for now, I can't afford Karkat to see me. She must've been so scared.

What if I lose my control again and take it out on her? I shiver. No. That won't happen because you won't lose control and even if you hate it, you'll have to reduce time spent with her. Its for the best.

I miss her already.

Another ding comes from my laptop.

CG: THAT'S IT. I'M COMING OVER.

My heart skips a beat and I quickly get nervous.

TG: what
TG: no
TG:  dont
TG: i swear to god karkat
TG: dont you dare

I run my fingers through my hair. No no no she can not come over. I can't let her see me! I pace around the room as I get more nervous. My palms get sweaty and my heart beat increases.

I look at the time on my laptop: 4:07pm.

I rush out my bedroom door and out the front door, barely shutting the door behind me. The temperature drops and a slight breeze hits me as I run outside.

"STRIDER!" I hear Karkat's voice yell from afar.

Shit. I take a right turn to the park that's the closest to my house and keep running, faster.

"Dave stop!" Karkat yells from behind. "Please!"

I slow down when I hear the word "please," and start to feel a little guilty.

She's begging to talk to you.

But I can't let her speak to me or else-

A sudden weight strikes me from behind causing me to lurch forward and fall to the ground. I struggle, trying to get free but can't seem to. I turn my head to see Karkat's face buried in my shoulder. I start to feel wetness through my shirt on my shoulder.

Is she crying? My heart breaks. No not again.

I hear a sniffle from Karkat. After a moment, she gets off of me and kneels in front of me, her head still down.

"Karkat," I say quietly with caution. I push myself up a little so that I'm not laying on the ground. I lift my head down as I can feel my heart breaking, "I'm sorry, I can't-"

She suddenly lifts my head up with her hand and presses her lips against mine. I can feel the hotness and tears on her face against my cheeks. I close my eyes and lightly kiss back. Her lips are so soft and warm.

Karkat pulls back and I open my eyes; her face is stained with red and tears. I wipe some tears off her cheek with my finger and grin.

Her eyes sparkle, that deep shade of grey/brown mixing together. That blush across her cheeks makes her look even cuter. Gah, so cute.

How could I ever have told myself to not let us see each other again? I would be missing out on the most greatest person of my life.

I smile. I'm so glad to see her.

--

For the next hour, Karkat and I walk around the park. I took and held her hand about half-way through, our fingers intertwined, locking perfectly.

Presently, I check my phone to see what time it is but realized I forgot my phone at home.

I look at Karkat, "What time is it? I left my phone at home."

She takes out her phone. "6:54" she says.

My eyes widen a bit when remembering the dance is at 7pm tonight. (Aka, it starts in 6 minutes.)

"Shit c'mon," I say and start running, her hand still locked with mine.

"Hey what the fuck are you do-" Karkat yells but I interrupt her.

"The dance is at 7 remember? We've got 6 minutes," I explain.

"Gah! I totally forgot!" Karkat says from behind in a forgetful tone.

We run past my house. "Hey don't you need to get your phone atleast?" Karkat says.

I should get my phone or else Dirk will flip...

I stop in my tracks and so does she. "Alright, one sec. Stay here," I tell her and run into my house, letting go of her hand.

I run up to my room, glad Dirk isn't home, grab my phone from my bed, and run back outside.

Thank god, I think to myself as I see Karkat is still there.

She notices me, and we start running together again. We run down many streets, hand-in-hand, our feet thumping against the concrete.

When we arrive at the party, Nepeta's house, we stop in front of the house and catch our breath.

She starts laughing, and I can't help but look at her and laugh too.

Her cheeks are blushing again, the corners of her mouth lifting, showing her teeth. She looks at me, her eyes glistening like stars. I smile, and we knock on the front door, not expecting what great yet tragic things lie for us.