Chapter 10

Her eyes shine a bright, scarlet red. My eyes widen in amazement and shock. They're so beautiful; nothing I've ever seen before.

Shades of red dance, a darker tone stripes around her pupil. The light from the lamp makes her eyes shine, faint stars striking across.

"Dave," I say, my voice barely coming out at first, "they're beautiful."

Dave pauses a moment, seeming a little shocked, then smiles and looks down. I can see her freckles dance across her nose, under her eyes and upper cheeks, blushed slightly. She rubs the back of her neck with her hand, still smiling, her perfect teeth showing. Some pieces of hair stray out from her ponytail in front of her ears, framing her face. Her bangs hang slightly, reaching to her eyelids from my perspective. Blonde eyelashes hang above her unique eyes, the tips glistening a bit.

Gog, how can someone be so fucking gorgeous?

Dave's smile fades and her voice gets softer, "All my life I was taught to never show my eyes because they might be too 'revealing' or 'obscene' to others."

My muscles tense at those words. Suddenly, my anger starts to rise but not directing toward Dave. I feel... pity? Fuck I don't know but...

"Dave," I reach out a hand and gently lay my hand down on hers which is on her lap. Her hands are so soft and warm.

Her fingers beneath mine clench against the bed sheets. Then she clears her throat and lifts her head up at me, seeming casual, "Anyways, I've kind of gotten used to it."

How can she be so "normal" about saying that? .. Isn't she sick of hiding all the time? I know I am. My palms start to get sweaty, my blood beginning to boil. "How could you possibly be used to hiding all the time?" my voice comes out louder. "I would hate to fucking live my life hiding something so fucking beautiful and outstanding. Who cares about what other people think! Especially for you.. a Strider."

Dave suddenly tenses at my last word, her eyes flickering nervously away from me, her mouth taught. She looks down. "I know," she says quietly with annoyance. "It's just," she pauses, then says with a louder voice, "My sister is a fucking psychopath. She gets whatever the-hell she desires, and if you don't listen," she pauses. "Let's just say it won't end well."

I think for a moment. What does she mean? Is her sister that controlling? I look down, my nerves becoming numb at the realization, Does she...

I glance up at her, my eyes widened in shock and disbelief. My eyes suddenly start to water, tears forming in the crevices. I can feel the heat rise up to my face as I feel the tears coming up. No no no not her. Dave doesn't deserve it, she's.. Then a tear finally escapes, drifting down my cheek. Then another. And another.

Dave finally looks up and almost right away, her hands are cupped around my face. Her voice is shaky, her face panicked and worried, "What? Why are you," she cuts off then shakes her head," I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything." She then wraps her arms around me and tugs me close, our bodies locked tight together. The warmth of her body hits me and for some reason, I cry harder and harder, more and more tears pouring down my cheeks and into Dave's shoulder.

We sit there for a couple minutes, me balling my eyes out and gripping onto Dave's back while Dave hugs me tightly.

I really shouldn't be the one crying. Why am I crying so much? Many thoughts in my head swarm me, Why would her sister... Dave does not deserve to be treated like that, never.

My tears stop, and I calm myself down by taking deeper breaths and letting my grip on her back loosen. I let go from the hug, and so does she, the warmth of her body leaving mine. She looks at me still filled with worry, her eyes and cheeks a little red. She then grabs her shades from beside her and put them on, her bright red eyes disappearing under the blackness of the aviaders. I sigh but tell myself that she was going to "have to" put them on some time.