Smaug

Scene 10

▪▪▪▪

"Hėlla," Balin commented. "It would be a good idea to stay safe."

I gave Balin a strange look. "What are you talking about?"

"You and Thorin." He mentioned. "You two love each other, right?"

I nodded. "Well, yeah."

"The gold is like a sickness. Thorin will not be himself. You have to stay safe. You have to keep you and that baby safe." Balin tells me.

I cleared my throat. "Ahem, baby? I don't have a baby..."

Balin grinned at me. "Oh. Yes, you do."

"Wait, Balin." I slightly yelled.

But he left me as we returned to the others. They weren't inside, but they waited outside by the door.

Baby? What baby? I don't think... I don't think Thorin... Did he? No... He couldn't have. What if he did. How would Balin know...? If Balin is right, I cannot tell Thorin. Not now.

"Hėlla, my Dorzada." Thorin sweetly says, pulling me to his side.

I smiled. "Thorin."

The ground shook. Thorin's sweet smile disappeared when Balin announced that it wasn't an earthquake, but a dragon.

"Thorin." I breathed, clenching onto his arm.

Thorin held me close. "It's alright Hėlla."

I wasn't sure what Balin was talking about. Thorin seemed perfectly fine.

"What about Bilbo?" Dori questioned.

Thorin looked over his shoulder. "Give him time."

Balin wasn't going to stand for this. "Time to do what? To be killed?"

Thorin removed his grip on me. "You're afraid." He said to Balin.

Balin stood there with his hands on his hips. "Yes, I'm afraid. I fear for you. A sickness lies upon that treasure hoard. A sickness which drove your grandfather mad."

Thorin looked out at the city of Dale. "I am not my grandfather."

"You're not yourself. The Thorin I know would not hesitate to go in there.." Balin was cut off by the rough voice of Thorin.

"I will not risk this quest for the if of one burglar." Thorin shot back.

I backed away from Thorin. Balin was right. The gold was changing Thorin.

"His name is Bilbo," I shouted at Thorin.

Thorin looked down as I left him. I went and sat by Dwalin. My hand was on my stomach, I swallowed the lump in my throat.

From inside the mountain, Smaug the dragon roared. Thorin grabbed his sword and ran in.

"We can't let him go in alone," I shouted. "We have to go in there."

I grabbed my weapon and ran in after Thorin. The others followed. I screamed and hide behind Dwalin when a gigantic dragon was coming at us.

"You will burn!" Smaug roared, his voice was deep and loud.

Smaug was beautiful. Just an amazing creature that was going to kill us.

"Run!" Thorin yelled.

The 11 of us jumped off the walkway we were on. Then we ran through a doorway that lead us to what looked like a kitchen. Thorin was trying to lead us out of the mountain. We stopped at a bridge that lead across the golden river.

"Where to now?" I asked in a soft voice.

"The Western guardroom. There may be a way out." Thorin told us.

"It's too high. There's no chance that way." Balin popped in.

Thorin looked back at him. "It's our only chance. We have to try."

Thorin crept out of the safety of the hall, looking both ways before going out onto the bridge. We followed him, sticking together, and watching for Smaug, the beautiful beast with wings. That's when a coin dropped. We all froze. Bilbo checked himself, thinking it was him. When another coin dropped, we all looked up as a shadow cast over us. Smaug. He was walking across the other bridges right on top of us. I felt like I was going to pee myself when I saw his beautiful scales. Thorin waved us to keep going. We quietly kept moving forward. We made it across and ran. We ran into a room full of dead bodies.

"That's it then. There's no way out." Dwalin grimly said to everyone.

"No." Thorin deeply spoke. "I will not die like this. Cowering. Clarington for breath." Suddenly Thorin spun around, scaring me a bit. "We make for the forges."

"Thorin, he'll see us, sure as death," I informed him.

"Not if we split up," Thorin said.

Balin stepped forward. "Thorin, we'll never make it."

"Some of us might. Lead him to the forges. We kill the dragon. If this is to end in fire then we will all burn together." Thorins voice was deep like Smaug's.

"I'm not leaving you." I told Thorin. "I'm not going to leave."

"Hėlla, it's safer to be with Dwalin," Thorin told me.

I stomped my foot. "No!" I shouted. "I will not leave you! If this is the to end in fire then I will burn with you." A tear streamed down my face.

Thorin pulled me in for a hug. "Alright." He whispered.

▪▪▪▪

Thorin, Balin, Bilbo, and I ran. Thorin lead the way.

"Flee. Flee. Run for your lives." Smaug hissed, blocking our way. "There is nowhere to hide." His voice rumbles and made my stomach feel weird.

That's when Ori yelled at Smaug, distracting the dragon. We all split into four groups. We continued running when the dragon was distracted. When we were running, Balin shouted to turn, but Thorin ran past the doorway.

"Thorin!" I shouted.

He stopped and looked at me. Thorin was going to run to me, but Smaug was there.

"Thorin!" I shouted.

"Follow Balin." He shouted at me.

"No!" I shouted back, going to run to him. "I'm not leaving you!"

Bilbo had to come and drag me away. Thorin turned and ran. That's all I saw because Smaug blew fire. Balin and Bilbo pulled me into a giant hall where they had furnaces.

When Thorin ran there a doorway, I jumped on him.

"The plans not gonna work. These furnaces are stone cold." Dwalin. Announced.

Balin agreed with his brother. "We font have fore hot enough to set them ablaze."

Still hugging Thorin, he turned around when Smaug roared in the distance. "Have we not?" He breathed.

I kissed his sweaty cheek and jumped down. Thorin went over to the steel pillars.

"I did not look to see you so easily outwitted.  You've grown slow and fat in your dotage slug!" Thorin antagonized Smaug. Then turned around, grabbed me and told the others to take cover. Thorin squeezed me to him.

Smaug blew fire at the steel pillars that stood in his way. His fore flew and hit the furnaces, causing them the light. Thorin started to ordered the others to do stuff.

He looked to me. "Stay with Balin. No matter what happens. You stay with Balin."

"We've been over this. I'm staying with you."

"No!" His voice was rough and cold. "Stay with Balin."

I followed Balin and others into a room where I helped make flash-flame. When we were done, we threw the flash-flame at the dragon, trying to distract him from Thorin. Thorin shouted to lead the dragon to the Gallery of the Kings. Balin forced me to stay in the room where we made the flash-flame. I did not make a fuss.