The Winter Train, Part Two

Growing up, trains were considered a luxury. With the world disconnected, all the cross continental transportations were cut off from each other, with them only being recently re-established. Even then, most people couldn't afford it. Suitable fuel sources dwindled with each passing day. The fact that we were on one meant either government subsidies or some other methods of heavy funding, which sat uncomfortably with me. The stranger in my cabin did not help make the situation any less out of the ordinary. Or at least, as ordinary as it got with me.

"So, who are you? What are we doing here? Where's the Cryo-Tube?" I bombarded the man in the cabin.

He stopped me with raised hands, "Hold your horses. I'm just part-time here. We should wait for the big shots to come explain this."

"Big shots?"

From the door, a familiar voice replied, "That would be me."

I turned and, to none of my surprise, stood a familiar older man in black jeans and a grey shirt, leaning on a cane in his right hand. The sight of him out of his usual work clothes was such a foreign display that it took me a few seconds to fully recognize him.

"Parker," I greeted the doctor.

The stranger replied sarcastically to Parker, "I was actually talking about my wife."

"Sure you are. She can't hear you by the way." He stepped away from the door to make way for the man. "She's at the front cabin. You should go get her."

"Right." The man got to his feet, nodding at me in recognition before leaving, closing the cabin door behind him. Parker limped over to take over the now empty seat opposite me, grunting in discomfort as he sat.

I asked, "What happened to your leg?"

"This? Injury and age doesn't mix," he replied, tapping his right knee. I noticed the slight greying of his once blonde hair and the dryness of his skin.

"But you're a doctor? Can't you just, I don't know, heal it."

He laughed. Once, a long time ago, I believed that same laughter would have been derisive. Now, with the wisdom of age, it was more of an understanding chuckle with added tolerance. "That's the ironic part isn't it? I'm the man who heals others, but can't even do the same for himself." He looked out to the cave walls blurring by, as if it was a canvas to paint his memories on. After a moment of contemplation, he sighed and said, "I'm sure you have a lot of question. I'll do the exposition until your daughter gets here."

It was true that I had questions. Most of them were about our location and situation. However, something more personal stood sore and needed answering. "That man just now, is he..."

"Your son-in-law," he answered. "Newton Smith."

"Ah...so uh...what does he do?"

"Really? That's your question?" he asked, raising a brow in curiosity at my lack-thereof. "You just woke up from your sleep in an underground train. Don't you have anything else to ask?" A slight condescension echoed from his tone. Despite his age, the doctor still had a semblance of the same contemptuous pride that had coloured his personality since the first day I met him, albeit just a pick of it was left.

"Of course I do," I replied, slightly annoyed. "But forgive me if I worry about my daughter every now and then instead."

"Well, I think the couple should answer those questions instead of me. It is a family thing, after all."

Resigning with a sigh, I said, "Fine. So, what are we doing here and not at the lab?"

He leaned back in his seat, making himself comfortable. Twirling his cane on its pivot against the floor, he replied, "You've been asleep for five years now. A few years ago, the East and West Forum Administration came under new...administration. A new head reworked the organization. They're just called The Forum now."