six

EDITED: 17/08/2018

I head back to my office with a smile on my face and a bounce in my step, after my brief morning with Daniel I was confident that I was going to have a great day. That confidence quickly faded as a call came through from Brenda.

"Excuse me Ms. Valentine, I have a Wesley Doyle here to see Mr. Slater, I believe he is his 2 o'clock?" Brenda explained, almost asking me for confirmation.

"Of course Brenda, send him straight up to Mr. Slater's office. Tell him he can go right in, Mr. Slater will be waiting." I reply quickly before sending a message through to Mr. Slater's computer informing him on Mr. Doyle's arrival.

I hastily gathered some photocopying that needed to be done and rushed out of my office, trying my best to avoid Wesley Doyle. It wasn't that I did not want to see him, it was just that I was overwhelmed by the liking he has taken to me. It is not every day that I have someone bringing me flowers or calling in when I'm at home just to ask me to dinner. I needed some space from his persistent personality and charming ways, just to gather my thoughts. It felt as though I spoke to soon because before I knew it that very person walked out of the elevator, a smile plastered across his face.

"Well if it isn't Ms. Demi Valentine." The bubbly personality of the one and only Mr. Doyle exclaimed just as I was about to make my escape.

"Mr. Doyle." I responded forcing a smile onto my face.

"You still owe me that lunch remember." He told me mockingly.

"Oh how could I ever forget" I exclaimed sarcastically. "Especially with you stalking me every 5 seconds." I muttered under my breath.

"Stalking? Really? Well if I knew you despised me that much maybe I would've stopped trying so hard." Mr. Doyle responded, clearly hearing my muttered remark.

"Turning up at someone's house is stalking and a little creepy." I exclaimed, feeling anger bubble up inside of me. I have a short temper, always have. It's been a weakness of mine for as long as I can remember and I knew that right now it was affecting me. I knew that if I couldn't control my anger I would say something I would regret.

"I was trying to be romantic!" Mr. Doyle argued back slightly, trying not to raise his voice.

"No wonder no one wants to be with you! You are a creep who stalks secretaries and uses meetings with their boss as an excuse to see them! You're just an old, lonely man with a desk job and no social life. If you're not careful I'll report you." I threatened. The moment the words came out of my mouth I regretted them. My hand shot up to cover my mouth, appalled at the way I had just spoken. The look on Wesley's face made it seem as though he was crushed, as though I had just taken every insecurity he had and threw it in his face.

Wesley Doyle wasn't a bad guy, in fact, apart from being a little rude on our first encounter he has actually been quite the gentleman: bringing flowers, asking me out, being charming and kind. I was not used to the attention and I most certainly wasn't used to getting it from someone as high up as Wesley. Although his business is titled Doyle and Johnson National Enterprises, Wesley owns 80% of the company, the only reason why Daniel even has his name on the door was because his grandfather was a mentor to Wesley when he was just starting out. Wesley grew the business from the ground up and when it got too big for him he sold it to Daniel's grandfather William. William passed away not long after and his share of the business was passed down to Daniel. Rumours say that if it's up to Mr. Doyle, Daniel would not be even a part of the business.

I realised that Wesley Doyle had exited the hallway and entered his meeting with Mr. Slater, not even bothering to say a single word back to me after my violent outburst. I felt guilty, I shouldn't have said the things that I did because I really didn't mean a single word of them.

Making my way back to my desk I continued my daily tasks trying to pass the time. The longer I spent at my desk the more time I had to think about what I had said to Wesley, The guilt was slowly building up inside of me and I could not think of one single reason that I would say the things that I said to him. Wesley was a nice guy and he didn't deserve to have those lies spoken out loud to his face, especially from someone he has been so kind to.

I finally made my mind up that the next time I saw Wesley Doyle I would apologise for my outburst and finally agree to the lunch date that he had been constantly asking for.