thirteen

EDITED: 18/08/2018

After leaving the function Wesley and I made our way down the main street, it wasn't late into the night and many of the shops around us were still opened. We looked ridiculous, walking through the city dressed to the nine's when most people were wearing jeans. The lights of the open stores lit up the main street, making us stand out even more than we already did. The silence between Wes and I was comfortable, as though we were quite happy to be in each others company. I was surprised, I hadn't thought I would be this comfortable around him, it was as though my dislike of him was all based on my first impression.

"We should go get ice-cream." Wesley suggested, tugging gently on my arm to turn down a different street.

With a quick nod I happily followed Wes as he headed straight for an ice-cream parlour. I was surprised that he didn't want to drop me off home after the events of the night. He seemed more than happy to continue to spend time with me, even if it wasn't the way he had planned.

"I will have a double scoop mint choc-chip and peanut butter in a waffle cone." Wesley told the girl behind the counter as she eyed us up and down, observing our outfits.

"Um, double scoop chocolate and espresso in a waffle cone please." I said to the young girl with a small smile, still slightly disgusted with Wesley's ice-cream choice.

"Paying together or separately?" The young girl asked after handing us each our ice-creams.

Wes and I spoke at the exact same time, requesting different options.

"I can pay for myself Wes, it's okay." I insisted, he had already bought me enough. 

"Please let me pay Demi." Wes pleaded. I nodded quickly, worried that he was going to get down on his hands and knees and beg. 

I watched as Wesley enjoyed every lick of his ice-cream, almost mesmerised by him. His face, his eyes, his arms, everything about him was worth looking at. Although every time I looked at him tonight, all I could think about were the words Daniel said.

"Are you seeing someone Wes?" I asked, pausing momentarily. "As in, romantically?" I felt I needed to add, otherwise he might say something extremely 'Wes-like' such as What with my eyes? I'm seeing you right now?

"No, why?" Wes paused, looking slightly annoyed that I had interrupted his ice-cream eating or the fact that I had asked.

"Just thinking about what Daniel had said." I replied with a sigh, finishing off the last of my ice-cream cone.

"He just said that to try and make up for the fact that he was with her. If he made it seem like I had brought you while being with someone else it would've made it look less horrible." Wes groaned, clearly fed up with the topic of Daniel.

"You think what he did was horrible?" I question, following him as he exited the ice-cream parlour.

"Yeah." He replied.

We began walking down the road, Wesley clearly leading us in the direction he wanted to go. I had no idea where he was heading, but I wanted to know what he thought about Daniel. 

"Why?" I pushed, picking up my pace to keep up with him.

"Why on earth do you have so many questions all the time? Why this, why that. Can't you just accept the fact that Daniel isn't the kind of guy you should be with and move on?" Wes fired back, not slowing down his pace even for a moment.

"Oh." I was taken aback slightly, not sure how to react to his putdowns. "I guess I just want to know what you think of him." I stopped, frozen in place. I don't know why I cared so much about what he thought. For some reason I felt I needed his approval, at this point I realised I didn't have it. 

"Why so you can gain my approval and run of into the sunset with him?" Wes finally stopped walking and leant up against a brick wall alongside the sidewalk. "If I was in Daniel's shoes and I had just taken a gorgeous woman out on a date. I wouldn't have brought someone else to that function, especially someone who didn't look nearly as good as you did tonight."

I don't say a single word, my mind couldn't decide which comment I was more shocked to hear. The fact that he thinks that Daniel isn't the kind of guy I should be with or that he thinks I look better than the woman Daniel brought with him tonight.

Wes continues without waiting for my response. "I don't know what you see in him honestly. He asks you out and straight away you are captivated by something. Yes Daniel, Of course Daniel. You don't hesitate to go one dates with him but the second I ask you it's a no. What does he have that I don't? I gave you flowers, invited you out, I even apologised and bought you a dress! How is that not enough?"

I stood there, still in shock, every single one of Wes's words hit me hard. My body started to tremor slightly and all of a sudden I felt dreadful. Every single thing I had done to him, said to him, was all coming back to me at once.

"I feel so terrible, everything I've ever said to you or done to you was so horrible. What kind of person am I?" Tears welled up, threatening to spill with every word I spoke.

"No, don't cry, please don't cry. I don't mean to make you feel bad. I just, uh, I don't get it. Why him?" Wes wraps his arms around me, giving my shoulders a soft squeeze in an attempt to comfort me.

"To be honest, I don't even know. I feel like it's almost a right place right time scenario. He was there, he asked, I said yes. I feel horrible."

We continued to walk but not long after Wes grabbed my arm and pulled me gently once again, this time in the direction of a parking garage.

"What are we doing here?" Sadness still laced my voice, but tears were nowhere in sight. "Where are we?"

"Uh, well technically, we are in the carpark of my company" Wesley began, looking nervous.

Opening my mouth to say something Wesley quickly continued, "I know what you're thinking. This is really strange, why would he take my to a carpark. I thought I could drive you home in my car, not the flashy limousine I brought with me to pick you up."

"Why would you want to do that? You like the flashy limousine." I reply, slightly confused.

"I don't actually, I just brought it because it is expected of me to turn up to the ball in a fancy car. My pride and joy is right over here, Demi, meet Betsy." Wesley throws his arms out presenting a ute. 

"Betsy." Is all I can manage to say at first, "She's so, pretty!" I exclaim, admiring the pristine turquoise paint.

"She's a 1965 Chevy C10. Bought her at the scrap yard, did her up and gave her a paint job. Now she's perfect." Wes explained, running his hand along the side of his car. "Jump in, I'll take you home."