- CHAPTER FIVE -

Teeming with both the seen and unseen, millions of souls resided in the city of San Francisco, and not all of them human. Dreaming of romantic movies and love affairs, whether real or imagined, the human inhabitants travelled along the city's streets, some faster than others, while many were happy to trundle down the hills on the trolleys.

One, filled with daydreamers, lumbered down a hillside. Inside, one soul scanned the pages of a newspaper while he swayed to the trolley's bouncing rhythm. Immersed in the latest stories from the Middle East, he was unaware that someone read the paper over his shoulder. To the man's left, Camael's face showed a slight annoyance when, finished, the man closed the paper and laid it flat on his lap. The momentary flicker was replaced by a look of resigned, practiced indifference. Watching the others inside the crowded trolley, Camael found their stories more interesting and uplifting than those in the paper.

Daniella was sitting across from Camael. A forty-nine year old domestic working for three different families, was nearing the end of her day. On her way to the last household she cared for, she was growing antsy to get back home and to her three children, whom she doted upon. Focused on ensuring her children had a better life than her own, she hoped they would become lawyers, doctors, or even movie stars. Anything was possible and day-in, day-out, it gave her the strength to travel these hills. Engrossed in her dog-eared paperback romance, to Camael, she looked very tired. He saw the strain of it all hovering with a whisper just below the surface.

Camael began to read a couple nestled together a few rows down. Staring out the window at the passing buildings, they were visiting from New Jersey. Meeting up with old friends today, Tommy and Gina hoped to take in the sights. What Gina didn't know was that Tommy planned to propose tomorrow. Tommy didn't know where or how yet; he only knew that tomorrow was the day. He was bound and determined and had put it off for long enough. Have I put it off too long? Will she say 'yes'?

The young dockworker's insecurities flowed out of him like sweat. Camael had seen the same fears living in the heart of every man wanting to ask that question. Sharing a life was a daunting prospect. He sensed the greatest fear in Tommy was, despite Gina's answer, that nothing would ever be the same. Camael knew how fear crept through the hearts of men and women. He himself had a close experience of it.

Standing, he walked over to the couple. He rested his hand on Tommy's shoulder and whispered into his ear. "Relax, let it happen on its own. She'll say yes, of course. Everything will be wonderful."

Tommy smiled at the thought and squeezed his love tight. Touching his hand she leant against his shoulder. Camael watched the love between them eclipse Tommy's fear. A beautiful sight on a beautiful day, it made the Watcher happy. If only for a brief moment, but wasn't life an interconnected series of brief moments? Camael thought as he returned to his seat.

The man with the paper shifted about, clearing his throat. The Watcher listened in on the paper man's thoughts again. He was fixated on the stories of violence. The man felt there was nothing in the world but bad news. He wondered how people could be so brutal to each other.

Camael couldn't help but agree.

Putting away her book, Daniella reached for the stop request wire and pulled. As the bell clanged, Camael saw the fatigue deepen in her eyes. Listening to her thoughts, and understanding such strains, he felt sympathy for her. She had only another decade and change, then it would be time for a long rest before starting all over again. Camael wished only good things for her until then. Perhaps her next life would be an easier journey in reward for the ceaseless toils she faced in this one. Above all, and at the very least, for the love she had shown to those around her.