- CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT -

The rolling dunes of the desert fanned out in waves towards the horizon. As night fell, the desert grew cold beneath the full moon. A solitary figure riding a camel crested a high dune. Both the great translucent beast and its master glowed with pale silver auras. The rider halted his mount at the dune's summit, looking out over the rolling desert sea.

A blanket of bright stars shone down through the scattered cloud cover hanging high above the dunes. Leaving no tracks, Mithras had ridden through the desert for the last five days and nights searching for any sign of the Jinn. He knew this was their domain and he would eventually pick up their trail. Re-reading the list of names on the parchment he began to reconsider his decision. He needed to formulate a plan of attack. In truth he was more than daunted at the prospect of approaching some candidates on the list. They were an assortment of sprites and fairies, imps, wisps and leprechauns. That wouldn't be too bad, Mithras thought. A scattered range of nightmares and dream stalkers, shadow people, phantoms and poltergeists helped fill the lines of the scroll's seemingly exhaustive list. One of the spirits was from the multitude of crones, the nightmare pattern of spirits Adimus had unleashed on the dreams of the world to stalk souls in their sleep. The brown crone, her visions brought nothing but fear. She was the huntress, a stalking hag lurking in the shadows, waiting for those drifting through the mists of dream. Hers were the sheet-soaking night terrors leaving those suddenly awoken, with hearts pounding, unable to return to sleep.

Written in Raziel's delicate scrolling hand was the name of the crone's master. The thought of Admius chilled Mithras. He pictured the giant black wings of night opening before him. Were Azrael and Raziel really prepared to compromise the Outcasts' ranks for the sake of affecting the balancing?

In the distance he saw the twinkling glow of a campfire. Since the beginning of his journey this was the first sign of anything the Watcher had seen other than the hardy life of a silent desert. It was a trail, what manner of trail Mithras did not know, but he would soon. "What'd you say, Mercury? Shall we pay them a visit?" Mithras asked his ghostmount.

The camel groaned back, spurring itself towards the distant light.

Assembled around the fire was a Bedouin family enjoying the night air, smoking from a large hookah and telling stories. There were four children, three boys and an elder daughter. Sitting next to his wife, the husband drew smoke from a nib at the end of the hookah's long hose. The family was laughing at a shared joke when one of their camels grunted.

Beyond the animals and the family's tents, Mithras appeared out of the shadows. Leading his camel by the reigns, The Bull God saw the faces of two youngest boys. They were afraid of him. The eldest boy, nearly a man, looked to the swords laying on the rug between him and his father. Mithras saw the boy stilled by a wave of his father's hand. The eldest daughter and mother whispered between themselves as he approached the campfire.

Stepping into the light and warmth of the fire he pulled the folds of his white kufiyya away from his mouth. Standing beside the fire, Mithras held his arms and robes open so the family saw his face. He smiled, touching a hand to his forehead in greeting. "Salam, friend. I have been travelling through the desert for many days."

"Salam. My name is Owdah and this is my family. We have been in this desert for some time ourselves. Please, join us by the fire. I would offer you my family's hospitality."

"Many thanks Owdah, to you and your family. I will not forget this kindness you show me," The Watcher replied. "I'll be happy to join your campfire. I am eager to hear any stories or news you might have. Respectfully, all I require is the firelight and your company. My needs are humble."