Chapter 6

The next morning dove woke up. Still asleep she went to the pile, she picked out a vole and went to eat it. Then she saw a blurry creature coming to her, "night?" Dove meowed, she blinked and saw a brown tabby tom. "Forgot about me already?" The tabby purred. Dove sat up, "barkfoot!" She purred and pressed her head to his muzzle. He purred, "how are you? I know that your mate isn't really fond of me but I was worried! A badger is in the forest," he meowed and licked the back of her ear, "windclan is still sleeping I decided I'll stay here. If that's ok of course," barkfoot meowed. Dove licked his cheek, "Why of course! Stay as long as you want help yourself!" Dove meowed and pushed the vole closer to barkfoot, their fur touching. Barkfoot nodded and started eating the vole in a couple big, hungry, bites. "You must be hungry!" Dove purred. Barkfoot nodded and flicked his tail playfully. Then she saw night coming, "dove! Why is this "Barkfoot" here?" Night said, saying Barkfoot's name in a mean tone. Dove stood up, "he is helping us!" Before she could finish night interrupted, "I suppose eating a vole is helping?" He meowed. Dove burned with fury, barkfoot is her friend! Whether he liked it or not! "He said there are badgers in the forest! He was hungry! He is my friend and always will be whether you like it or not!" Dove yowled with fury. Night padded to his part of the den. "Dove you want to go on a walk?" Barkfoot offered politely. Dove looked at him happy while night's fur pricked with fury. Barkfoot and dove walked away, their fur touching. Do I love this handsome tom or my mate, night? Dove thought.

Fact: Barkfoot never wanted to "steal" dove from night. He fell in love with her when he saw her and wanted to become closer to her. Dove always respected that while night was jealous because dove was pregnant with his kits not Barkfoot and was jealous that dove will like a tom like him better.