Chapter 18- A broken heart

I've just finished my meeting with the guards; they are going to split up and there will be one guard in each room teaching everyone basic defense skills. After I had done that, I go check on our supplies. We need to bring clothes, artificial blood, blankets, etc. I find the room that volunteers are gathering items and putting them in bags. They bow when they see me.

"How may we help you, Queen?" A girl asks.

"How are you organizing everything?"

"Well, we have a bag per family; It includes a blanket, five packets of artificial blood, clothes, an ordinary knife, and toiletries."

"How many bags are there so far?" I ask.

"About twenty..." She trails off.

"What?! We are going to need way more than that! 100 at least!" I yell. She flinches. I sigh.

"Its okay, your trying your best. We will need more volunteers in this section," I say.

"But, my Queen, thats not the problem." She says quietly.

"Then what is it?"

"The palace only has so many supplies... Not enough for the whole clan. we can make 15 more bags, max."

"Then cut the supplies for a bag! Have 3 blood packets for a bag, and take blankets out of some of them. They wont all have to have the same things. As long as blood and a weapon is in each bag it will be fine." I improvise.

"O-okay..." She says doubtfully. theres only so much we can do, I mean its not like we've had months notice to plan this out. Checking this off my list, I am going to talk to Avianna, Aaron's sister, about the children and if they are all aware of whats going on when I see Aaron in the hall.

"Wheres Grayson?" I ask. He pulls me in for a hug.

"He's fine, just in your room. How are you? You must be stressed out with everything going on." My head is resting awkwardly on his shoulder and I pull away from him.

"I'm fine, I was just going to talk to your sister, do you know where she is?" I ask.

"Yeah, she has a daycare set up in the training room."

"Training room?? Well where was the training room moved to?" I ask. I should have been alerted of this, but then again Ive got so much on my plate maybe I just forgot.

"It's the ball room," He says. "The space was bigger there and since more people have to fight it seemed like the best place." He explains.

"I see. Well, I'm going to go now then." I am about to walk past him when he pulls me in for a kiss.

"I don't know when I'm going to see you again. Next i'm leaving the palace so check over the escape route to Above.

"Bye Aaron."

~

When I reach the training, or 'Daycare' room, I step in to see a bunch of sleeping children, and in the back Avianna is holding a baby with a few other women that I'm not sure if they are also teachers or just volunteers.

She looks up. "Oh! Lilith!" She whispers excitedly. She seems to be hu=er bright, optimistic self despite the circumstances. The baby stirs in its sleep and she lies it down.

The others get up and leave us in private.

"So, whats up?" She asks. Something I notice is her hair is pinned completely back, exposing her scar. She sees me looking and explains, "Its a reminder of what the humans can do to us."